Xbox Controllers-disturbing trend?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Are the regular (read "big") Xbox controllers being phased out? First there's the Sega bundle, then I notice that my local Future Shop only had the "S" controllers out (they were out of the regular ones), and finally, I noticed that in the manual for Blinx they showed the controls mapped on an "S" controller!

I'm all for freedom of choice here, but I still want to be able to get the big-ass controllers. Is it getting to the point where I should buy whatever I can find while they still exist?

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I thought I read somewhere that the original controllers were no longer being manufactured. All of the new games I've bought recently feature the S-controller in the manual and options screens of the games. Makes me sad since I actually love the original controllers. The S-controllers are alright, but I don't like the placement of the start/back and black/white buttons. Just feels awkward to me, although still not as awkward as the other systems' controllers [​IMG]

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Microsoft is not phasing out the original controller. They are simply including the S controller with the system now because they've come to realize that it is far more popular than the original. I forget what the numbers were, but the S model was outselling the big one by a huge margin. Their decision to switch the type of controllers included with the system is simply a reaction to what the market wants.

The original controller will still be available, but I suspect you will see them in lesser quantities.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I have 4 of the original controllers... I love them to death [​IMG]
    IMHO, the best controller EVER made (of course, I have BIG, FAT hands [​IMG] ). The S-controller is just so small and cheap while the big one is sturdy and heavy.

6. ChristopherS

ChristopherS Second Unit

I thought I was one of the only people that prefers the original XBOX controller. I have three originals and one S-Controller. That way any guests can choose which ever they prefer.

Chris

7. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I have 2 original and 2 S-controllers. I have large hands but I still prefer the S-controller due to the better button layout. I like having the start and back button easily accessible.

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

It's my understanding that the current Xbox bundle (which includes the S-controller) is a test. Microsoft is curious if the S should be the official controller. They want to see how many original controllers sell (as accessories) while this bundle is available.

9. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I bought my Xbox about 2 months ago, and have never used the original controller once. I would gladly trade it for another Controller S, straight up.

It's only been used when a friend came over to play games, and wanted to play games with me. I've just never been able to take the size of it. The Controller-S works perfect for me.

Glen

10. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I love the "S" controller and hate the old ones. I have puny hands so the "S" controller is perfect for me. Very comfortable...

11. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Actually, it was reported on IGN I believe it was that the original controller is being phased out. I will see if I can find a link or some other confirmation.

-Dan

12. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

S Controller is the new standard, officially. They are for sure phasing out the older ones.

Matt

13. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

14. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

This is the closest thing that I could find. It's from the IGN article about the new Xbox bundle.

15. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I have puny hands and love the orginal controller. It fits just prefectly and I prefer that button layout. It feels like you are actually holding something. I do have the S controller as well and it is only used for when friends are over.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

Greg_TSL begins furiously scribbling design drawings for a bowling ball containing all the Xbox buttons!
    [​IMG]

18. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

19. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

took me a while to get used to the s controller but i like it better now... closer to the other consoles controllers and the small size is better for the wife's hands...