Xbox controllers-buttons losing responsiveness?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Has anyone else noticed that their Xbox controllers have lost some responsiveness? I noticed that while playing Splinter Cell today that I had to hit the A button pretty hard to get it to take, while I can remember it responding to a very slight tap before. Now the controller saw a lot of (ab)use with Tony Hawk 4, which does involve holding that particular button down quite a lot, but this is the first time I've really noticed something like this. I can't say that I've ever broken a controller through normal use (hell, my original NES controllers still work), so is this just the overall fragility of the Xbox sticks? I mean I've had them since a month after launch, but that's still no excuse.

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The A button on my first S Controller was the the same way. After a while it seemed like I had to pound on it. If you have access to a copy of Dead or Alive Volleyball, it'd be interesting to check the calibration option with that controller & see how the A button responsiveness compares to the other buttons.

I'd check mine, but I ditched it before I got the game.

-Dave

3. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

The same thing happened to one of my Dreamcast controllers after playing through Fur Fighters. It's a third-person shooter that uses the Turok control method, where movement is controlled by the face buttons and looking/turning by the joystick.

Holding down the Y (forward) button for the majority of the game seemed to wear it out. I have to push Y a lot harder now to get it to register. I haven't experienced this yet with my Xbox controllers, but I haven't played any Xbox games that require sustained button holding.

4. Benjamin_L

Benjamin_L Stunt Coordinator

Though I've never had a problem with the regular buttons, I have had the right triggers on not 1, not 2, but 3 seperate Mad-Catz X-Box controllers die, following some intense but hardly unusual Halo deathmatching.

Criminal. [​IMG] At least my regular and s-controllers still work fine.

5. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

6. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Not to rub salt in your wound, Benjamin, but why do you keep buying them if they keep breaking? Pay a little more up front and do it right the first time - you'll save money in the long run.

7. Benjamin_L

Benjamin_L Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

Good question.

Answer: because I was a fool! [​IMG]

Actually when I picked up my lil boxen I bought one extra controller... once we discovered the glory of Halo my friends were muy eager to join in... necessitating a few more controllers. They didn't start breaking until a few months later.

Remember the bad hype the original X-box controllers got? I never found them that unweildy myself (and my hands are damn small for a guy), but my whiney friends bitched about them, so I picked up the Mad-catz variety instead. I blame them.