XBox controller trouble

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Murray, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

I was wondering if anyone here has experience the same issues I've had. My left triggers on both my controllers are sticking sporadically. The physical button itself doesn't stick, but the sensor inside seems to be stuck. It is particularly annoying during SSX when the snowboarder grabs the damn board and won't let go and you wipe out. It's also a nusance when your playing PGR and the brake is on when your trying to speed up.

I can pull the trigger a couple times and it releases, but everytime the button is used, it is a potential problem.

I haven't launched the controllers across the room (yet) and I haven't spilled anything in them, so it isn't an abuse issue. I'm thinking of opening up one of them and cleaning it with some alcohol and a q-tip, but I'm not even sure if it isn't a connector issue or possibly with the console itself.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks.

2. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

I'm going to try to clean it first and then do the "Best Buy" exchange.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Hmmm. My left trigger is not sticking, but it has recently started making a rubbing noise when it is pressed. Hopefully, it does not start what you are describing.

However, why not just contact MS instead of making BB do it. That would at least let MS know that there are problems.

C. Ryan

4. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

I would probably let them know. I can just see them telling me that wear and tear or abuse isn't covered in the warantee. Being controllers for a toy that frequently get abused, I would understand that position if they took it. If I get a chance tonight I'll try to clean the contacts inside and let you guys know the results.

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, I agree with that. However, I would be upset if they denied service on a peice or hardware that does not look adused and is still very new.

C. Ryan

6. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I have that problem on 1 of my controllers, but it's *very* sporadic. It pisses me off when it happens in multiplayer Halo, though (and my grenade count unexpectedly drops by 1).

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I actaully had a similar problem where one of my controllers would activate the left thumbstick when I pushed the left trigger. This meant that when I threw a grenade in Halo, it would toss the grenade, crouch, and start walking to the left. Called MS about this, and they offered to fix it, but was able to exchange at Microplay. MS seems to be supporting the console well at least.

8. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

I haven't had a problem in a week or so, but if it acts up again, I'll probably call them up. I agree that they are doing a great job supporting the console.

9. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

I have this problem too. In NHL2002, it is the everyone go LEFT offence ... Resets itself after a whistle to stop play.