xbox component video problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BorisM, Jun 10, 2002.

1. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

Apr 11, 2002
    Yesterday I had a very strange problem with my xbox and the component video. I have used the component video pack with my 24" JVC TV regularly since the xbox launched. It worked fine until I moved into my new apartment last week. Last night, I reconnected the xbox with the component video, and all I saw on the TV was a mess.
    The picture was scrolling rapidly horizontally and vertically at the same time, with only a very faint xbox screen barely visible in the background. It is completely unuseable. The picture was reminiscent of a 20 year old tv set trying to catch a very faint signal from a coat hanger antenna.
    I rewired the xbox with the composite video cables, and everything worked fine. I am at a complete loss as to why the component video connection just stopped working. I thought that maybe something was ruined in the move, but everything seems to work fine with composite cables.
    Any suggestions? Thanks.
  2. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Aug 11, 1998
    Go to the Xbox Dashboard and check your video and audio settings. If your Xbox was unplugged for a while, your system reverts to its manufacturer default settings. It sounds like maybe you have 480p turned on in the dashboard and your set doesn't support it.