Xbox Component Hookup

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Peter McDonald, Apr 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone.

My friend is getting a new TV this week (20" Sony Wega). He's going to be hooking it up to his X-Box. The TV is only capable of 480i, but it has component inputs on it. Would the difference in quality between between S-Video and Component be significant? Does the X-Box even support 480i component output?

And remember, this is a relatively small TV, that isn't capable of anything above 480i.

Thanks!
    Peter

2. RenoV

RenoV Agent

On a 20" TV you'll be hard pressed to find a difference between s-vid and component.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Home Theater magazine did a comparison on all 3 connector types from a DVD player to a "Reference" 50" RPTV. Here is what they concluded:

Composite: baseline
    SVideo: 20% better picture than Composite
    Component: 25% better picture than Composite

They noted that the difference was LESS for smaller displays, and GREATER for larger screens.

On the other hand, a fellow Admin was playing around one day and changed his bedroom TV (20") from using a SVideo to a component cable with a DVD player source. He said the difference in picture quality was quite noticible to him.

If the price difference is not much, go with the Component solution. This way you wont have to re-buy later.

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I believe the Advanced (S-Video) and High-Definition (Component) AV Packs from Microsoft have the same MSRP, so you might as well get the High-Definition Pack with component video output.

And yes, the Xbox can output 480i through a component connection.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I noticed a difference in color definition switching from S-video to Component on the PS2. I'm sure it would be the same for the Xbox, but then again I have a 32" tv.