What's new

xbox breaking all kinds of sales records (1 Viewer)

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
Similar quote from Electronics Boutique VP Peter Roithmayr:
"It (the Xbox launch) was incredible. We had the single largest sales day in Electronics Boutique history Nov. 15. This was a record we thought would take forever to be broken. We have seen a very strong software and accessory attach beyond the first day of sales. Product continues to ship from Microsoft on a very timely basis, and consumers are obviously pleased."
"The Xbox launch was the best launch I have ever been a part of, and that goes all the way back to launches like that of Nintendo Entertainment System, Super NES, 3DO and Atari," said Dan DeMatteo, president of Gamestop Inc. "
read full article at...
http://www.consolewire.com/news/item.asp?nid=2157

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
Hmm. I see one record that was broken (an Electronics Boutique one), and that's all...? The rest of the quotes given are pretty ambiguous, and just say that it had a good launch. Maybe I'm missing something.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Pete, I do not know about sales records but the launches for both the XBox and the GameCube have been incredible in the city I live in. I have went into Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy and CC almost daily since November 15 and have yet to see one GC or XBox on the shelf. An article in today's paper stated that Goldman, Sachs & Co. just recently polled 49 retail stores and found out that 41 of them were sold out of the XBox console and 28 were sold out of the GameCube. The article also stated that most analysts now expect both consoles to sell out during the holiday season. What this will result in is the PS2 siphoning off some of the potential XBox and GC business due to lack of availability of these new consoles.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
That's funny. The Best Buy about 10 blocks from my house here in Phoenix has had XBoxes three times since the launch day, including on Black Friday at about 4 in the afternoon. They had FIVE of them.

The Wal-Mart about five blocks away had Gamecubes on Black Friday (3 of them) but no XBoxes, at about 2 pm.

The Electronics Boutique in the Paradise Valley Mall had 2 GameCubes at about 6 pm on Black Friday.

I haven't bought either of them yet, but it doesn't seem all the hard to find either one of them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Around here, you'll be lucky to find either. The GameCube accessories and games are also tough to find. Lotsa X-Box games and controllers though.

Gary Rhine

Stunt Coordinator
To me it seems it boils down to small kids prefer the Gamecube, bigger kids the XBox, HTers the XBox (Dolby Digital).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yes and no. Nintendo is trying to appeal to everyone by having good games while MS is trying to appeal to teens and older by having adult or violent games, not that there's anything wrong with either strategy. MS is aiming for the people who have the most spare cash (teens and people in their early 20s) while Nintendo is spreading their appeal out and possibly losing customers by not centering on one demographic too much.

Then again, Nintendo has a reputation to fall back on, so people are expecting their console will be successful. Their fanbase is keeping them alive for now, and thats probably the biggest thing Nintendo has.

Steve J

Agent
Hmmmm...Gary, I think your statement is not scientific. For example, I'm pretty hard-core into HT and I FAR FAR prefer GameCube.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Steve J ,

I agree! I love my HT yet I don't own an X-Box. However I'm enjoying my Gamecube quite a bit!

-Andre F

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I have yet to see a single Xbox or GC box at the stores out here. The xboxs are selling like mad out here in Silly Valley, I can guarantee that. And the GCs are no slump either. If you're seeing either console just sitting on a shelf out here, you're either 1) in another dimension or 2) you've arrived 5 minutes after a shipment and are 10 minutes away from seeing them all disappear off the shelves.
I am lucky to see peripherals and cables up on the shelf.. This reminds me of the great Zelda 2 shortage of '89-'90.
By the way, kudos for Microsoft for providing its customers component cables off the shelf , as opposed to Nintendo, who is pathetically late in making its equivalent cables widely available.
Joseph

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
X-Boxes and Gamecubes are pretty easy to find around here. It must be a regional thing. Every time I go to my local Wal Mart there's always some of each in stock.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
We had the single largest sales day in Electronics Boutique history Nov. 15. This was a record we thought would take forever to be broken.
That's BS. EB has taken over two competing companies operations since PS2 was released. In other words, they've easily doubled the number of stores they had in that time. Obviously, they're bound to sell more Xboxen with double the stores.

That said, the Xbox and Gamecube launch have been very good. They haven't exactly broken entertainment retailers out of the financial slump we're experiencing but they are making this whole period more palatable.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
We got a shipment of XBOXes at the CompUSA I work at this morning. Needless to say, we sold out of the whole shipment shortly after receiving it (and in less than two hours after we opened).

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
All that I know for sure is this:

Microsoft has said nothing..zero..nada...about how their launch with the big box went. No sellouts,no ship figures - nothing.

And as I looked around tonight,no news still.

I have no doubt that the Xbox sold well,but I'd be happpier if the Big Cheese said something...

Anything...

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
ah, so thats how eb said they broke records. hehehe a merger, duh no wonder. I should have listed the title as, "Xbox breaks eb one day sales record now that they have merged into two companies"

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So what if it broke records at EB? For all we know, EB could have gotten all the X-Boxes besides 1,000, whereas Nintendo evenly split their GCNs around. The GCN could have sold more units in the first week than the X-Box overall, just not at EB.

If the X-Box breaks sales records all over and not just at EB, then I would care. Same goes for GameCube.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
EB could have gotten all the X-Boxes besides 1,000, whereas Nintendo evenly split their GCNs around.
You've got the right idea, Morgan. One retailer, for example, got many times more Gamecubes than all their competition. I know that for a fact (you figure out who that retailer was :)).
I've heard there were similar dealings between Microsoft and retailers that have made Microsoft a lot of money in the past (and EB isn't one of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks