1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

XBOX Blinx verdict??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith M., Oct 9, 2002.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

So has anyone actually played Blinx yet? What do you think? Please lets not debate others' reviews, I just want actual opinions...

2. Scott "E"

Scott "E" Second Unit

I'll be picking it up after work today. I'll post some initial impressions this evening after a couple of hours of play.

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Have it in my hands, but as usual, I am at work so I cant quite do anything with it until later tonight. I'll be back on later after some play time with some first impressions.

4. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Well, I've been playing Blinx for about three hours now. I'm on the second level Deja Vu canals. I've replayed quite a few sections mostly to collect money to upgrade my timesweeper, time holders, and retry holders. So far, it's a pretty easy game, but apparently that changes dramatically with the fourth level.

At any rate, I'm enjoying this game, I don't mind replaying the levels, and the time change aspects of this game work quite well. The interface is well done, A button allow you to jump, you suck up objects of which you can hold 5 by holding X. Tapping x or the right trigger shoots out the object. Aiming isn't too big of a problem, because the game does auto-aiming for you, so if you're lined up with the enemy you'll likely hit it. Time alteration is done by holding the b button which brings up a menu and then you can scroll to the function you want and select by releasing the b button. You start off with with being able to hold three time changes in inventory, but you can increase these purchases at the shops. Likewise, with the number of retries. The game autosaves after you complete a stage or finish at the shop, a nice feature, IMO.

The camera frankly is not a problem so far, and is easier to manage than Super Mario Sunshine's. At this point in the game, I don't have an issue with it. The graphics are delightful. Blinx is quite well animated as are the enemies. There's a lot of detail in this game. In the first level, in stage 2 you have a gentle snowfall, in the next stage you have some rain. This is a very pretty game. What gamespot's problem is with how this game looks, I have no idea. 7 out of 10 is an unwarranted score. Especially considering the 9 given to graphics to Super Mario Sunshine. Blinx is better looking than SMS, no question in my mind.

I'm not going to rate this game at this point, but my impressions are favorable. This is a slickly done product. Okay, so there's not much story, but who cares, this a platformer. Does it matter? I don't remember any storyline in classic platformers of yore like Super Mario or Sonic. The game overall has a Sega feel to it rather than Nintendo. I like what I've played so far, so I'll leave it at that.

5. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

diss SMS all you can![​IMG]

6. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

I'm not dissing SMS. I'm merely using SMS as a reference. SMS's strongpoint is its gameplay. The camera was a pain, and I found it graphically lacking and on the simplistic side. The gameplay is what SMS is about and on that count I think SMS is a couple of notches above Blinx based on what I've played, which granted isn't all that much. I'm not reviewing the game, merely stating some inital impressions.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I guess Ill just pick it up and see for myself... I really miss the platform based games, but personally I am so sick of the re-hashes of the same ol Mario/Sonic stuff, so hopefully this will fill my needs...

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I read the GameSpy review today and they basically gripped about the samethings Gamespot bitched about. I'll wait to hear what Romier has to say about the game before I take the plunge.

BTW - GameSpy gave Blinx a 50 out of 100 which is a Poor rating.

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Im on the third world right now. I'm holding off on doing an in-depth impressions post until I get to the end of the fourth or beginning of the fifth world. Thats when the game supposedly ramps up in the difficulty (and from reviews frustration factor).
    I should be able to get to the fifth world tonight (after Socom[​IMG]) so I'll be back either this evening or early tommorrow with my in-depth impressions. I really want to be fair with Blinx and I think waiting to get further in will help.

11. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

I'm quite enjoying this game! Fun stuff, I think I'll be playing this for my daughter a lot so she can watch it.

Dean

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I decided to pick this up today. Was very tempted by Hitman 2 but having just finished NOLF2, I decided I could wait a bit for another stealth game [​IMG]
    I'm only on the third world so far but I'm enjoying it. I like the graphics. They're very nicely done, IMO, and contrary to what some of the more negative reviews have said, I think they're aesthetically fine. It's not like I look at the weird characters in Blinx and go "Oh yeah, they simply can't compare to GOOMBAHS." Game's look is very colorful without being garish, which is important to me (not to crack on Mario, but I have to admit that I thought Mario Sunshine's graphics were just a tad too bright). And again, contrary to some reviews, I think Blinx himself is actually a very well designed character. I don't give a crap whether he becomes the Xbox's mascot, but they could do a lot worse. Maybe that's just me being a cat person [​IMG]
    The gameplay works for me. I don't mind a platforming game in which you don't kill enemies by jumping on their heads. I think if a person get past that traditional platforming standby, the vacuum gun/time control-based gameplay will be just fine. I think the time powers are pretty neat although I'm still getting the hang of the record feature. Biggest problem is (surprise!) the camera. Thankfully, you can click on the right stick and center it behind you but sometimes even when you do that it immediately starts swirling again, and the game does have a habit of occasionally sticking you with a crap angle when the action gets more chaotic. It'll be interesting to see how much of an issue the 10-minute time limit becomes on later levels, but at least the levels are only 10 minutes long, so it's not like a huge loss of time and effort if you screw up somehow [​IMG]

13. Ron Gilbert

Ron Gilbert Stunt Coordinator

Despite the negative reviews, I picked up Blinx a couple of days ago. So far I'm enjoying it, but I've only made it to the Hourglass Caves so far. Like Peter, I've gone back and replayed levels before continuing on - the small size of the levels have made this completely painless. For me, the most useful time functions have been PAUSE and SLOW. Andy, I'm still not sure what to do with RECORD. Right now, I'm having an issue with the last half of the second Hourglass Cave stage. I can understand some of the complaints, but as of now, they haven't become overwhelming issues for me.

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Work library got it in yesterday, had a play of most of the
    first two worlds (3 levels + boss in each world).

Some pretty graphics, some right horrible graphics - the character
    designs (outside of Blinx) are really really really simple. Think
    blobs, simple kiddie cartoon graphics. Nice special effects &
    lighting, some downright horribly boxy terrains. The first world is
    in a grubby city roof scape which does the game no favours.

The motion control of Blinx is downright horrible so far. He doesn't
    move fast enough at all for me. There are powerups you can buy in the
    shop, I'm hoping speed is one of them.

Nothing taxing at all gameplay wise in the first two levels.

Too early to give a real verdict on the whole "time" mechanic is that
    so far. It's largely prescripted - you NEED to use a rewind to rebuild
    a broken bridge etc. Not a bad thing - that's how you build puzzles into a design etc, but it does mean if you haven't got the correct crystals or the correct time item, you can't progress. One thing I noticed is it APPEARS to be completely fake with
    the rewinding. You go to a particular spot, see a bridge break.
    Whether you hit rewind then or in a minute, it still "rewinds" the
    bridge destroying... I'll have a play later & make sure, but that's
    the way it seemed.

The "pause" doesn't work quite how I'd like - say you pause at a boss
    to give yourself a chance to hit him, well, you get one 'free' hit,
    that's it. You can hit him once, then any other projectiles you hit
    him with don't do any damage. That's poo.

The automatic rewind mechanism that acts as lives is nice.

Collecting the crystals to do the time tricks is a bit of a pain in
    the arse, and I gather from reviews it gets trickier. It's all too
    easy to waste crystals & not get the ones you need to progress one of
    the 'set pieces'.

So far, I wouldn't pay $50 for it. Going to try to borrow it over the
    weekend to play it some more, see if the levels improve.

15. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Thanks for the impressions Brian. That's weird about the graphics. IGN just had an article about the 5 Best Looking Xbox games & that person named Blinx the 3rd best looking game behind Rallisport Challenge & Moto GP. Hmmph.
    It also seems that everyone thinks the first 3 or 4 levels are not all that interesting but some have said the game picks up later on, so...
    taps finger on desk while waiting for Romier's full review
    Regardless, it kinda sounds like this is going to be a game I'll pick up...used or when it goes on sale. [​IMG]
    -Dan B.

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

No problem, Dan. I want to grab it over the weekend & give it more of a chance. Every review seems to say the challenge/gameplay changes around level 4, so I want to get that far at least. Of course, I'll have to start from the beginning again [​IMG]
    I certainly don't think it looks like one of the top 5 Xbox games. The backgrounds are clean, the effects are nice, but the characters *suck* so far - I hope they really improve as you progress...

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Things change heavily as the game progresses. I beat the game a few days ago (Havent gotten the review up because of how up and down the forum has been. I promise Ill get the damn thing up soon!). Believe me when I say you wont get a real idea of what what kind of game Blinx is until you get past the first 3 worlds.
    The first 3 worlds are absolute cake and are more introductory than anything. Starting with world 4 things become increasingly difficult to almost maddening in the later levels. I'll go into it more when I get the review up.
    Having beaten the game I can't say I didn't like it though. Its was at the very least new but flawed. A good first effort that needs some overhauling in various areas..

18. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I finally got around to renting this one, and I'm kind of glad that I didn't spend the $70 on it that I was set to before the reviews came in. I've played for abour five or six hours now, and have just gotten to the 2nd stage of area 6, and am in complete agreement that the game gets much trickier starting in world 4. A couple of thoughts:

-The speed really only bothers me in long walking sections-perhaps if there was a "run" button or something it would make it a little less tedious?

-I like the way that some of the puzzles have multiple solutions if you're clever with the time controls (such as solving the problem of stepping on two door switches with a rewind instead of a record).

-There's really no need to make you re-buy sweepers every time you want to change...

-It'd be nice to be able to drop time crystals (there's been quite a few times when I've picked up crystals that I haven't wanted by accident, ruining a set).

-Romier is right-the secrets are a waste. At least give us something useful: maybe the alternate outfits-or even the better sweepers could have been the rewards? That way finding the hidden items would have some purpose, and they could get rid of the shop completely.

Overall, Blinx is a good game that might have been incredible. I really hope that the game does well enough to merit a sequel, and that the design team learns from their mistakes and evolves the gameplay mechanic, since they're onto something incredibly cool with the time controls.

19. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

20. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Since we're all waiting for Romier's review...What year is that due to go up, Romier? [​IMG]