XBOX / Big Screen / HDTV / ....etc.etc.etc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad_Krumrey, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Chad_Krumrey

Chad_Krumrey Auditioning

Hello all,

I would like to begin by saying this is my first post on the HT forums. I've been browsing around here for the last few weeks and I am astounded at the wealth of information here. I have gained so much knowledge just by reading posts. Thanks. Kudos to the admins of this site. I'm new to the whole HT/gaming scene so I hope I can explain my questions in terms someone can understand.

Here are my observations/questions...

I recently bought a Toshiba 43inch (Model # 43A10) tv and DD/DTS surround system...DVD....etc. I purchased my XBOX and bought the high-def AV pack. I connected this to my xbox and ran the optical cable to my optical 2 input on my receiver (Optical 1 is being used by my DVD). On the back of my TV I have the component connections. I plugged those in, except the 2 audio since I am using the optical cable for this. Once I had the component cables plugged in I turned on my xbox and the video section of the dashboard had changed. I now had the option to enable 480p.....etc. I went ahead and enabled all them and when I put a game in, I had great sound but no picture. Does this mean my TV is not HDTV capable? If not, should I just leave all the 480...1080...etc disabled? Will I still get a better picture quality with the component cables, versus, the s-video even if I am unable to enable the video modes in the dashboard that I have now after hooking up the component cables? Anyone that can provide me with some info I would very much appreciate. I hope I am close to being on the right track.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Chad

2. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

Hi Chad, welcome to the forum.

Your TV is not capable of displaying 480p....it is a standard television (not HDTV), and can only display 480i.

Using component video cables MAY show a small improvement in picture quality.

I suggest keeping the component cables since you already bought them. Just deselect 480p in the XBOX dashboard, and it will display games at 480i, which your TV can display.

Jeff

3. Joe Murray

Joe Murray Auditioning

You need to disable 480P, 720P, and 1080i. The 43A10 is not an HDTV so it will only handle 480i. You will still get a better picture from component cables rather than svideo though.

4. Chad_Krumrey

Chad_Krumrey Auditioning

Joe/Jeff,

Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly. One more question while I have your ear......Not that I am going to run out and get a HDTV now, however, is it a HUGE difference from an XBOX stand point running 480p???

Thanks again,

Chad

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Well you would probably see fewer jaggies and a smoother picture overall, but it's not like interlaced is unwatchable or anything compared to progressive. It's a nice thing to have, and you will appreciate the difference if you ever make the jump, but it isn't night-and-day at all, IMO. On my Pioneer there the difference is rather small; on other TVs it may be a bit more noticeable.

6. Chad_Krumrey

Chad_Krumrey Auditioning

Dave, Thanks for the response. I assumed the same thing....Believe me I am happy going from a 25 inch mono tv to a 43inch toshiba with DD/DTS surround!!!!! How did I ever manage???!!!!!

7. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

going from 480i to 480p does make a significant difference in games like Halo IMHO. Also, DVD at 480p is MUCH better than DVD at 480i on good HDTV sets or projectors...
    Just wanted to clarify [​IMG]
    And welcome to HTF Chad.

8. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I agree that progressive output will smoke interlaced output, although to some people who have TVs with built in line doublers/scalers the difference may not be as drastic.

9. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Although some may see a MUCH more noticeable improvement going progressive, alot of that may depend on your TVs line doubler. Some TVs have better scalers than others and the improvemant may not be quite as drastic..

10. Chad_Krumrey

Chad_Krumrey Auditioning

Thanks for the responses/info. All is appreciated.

11. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

The REAL difference comes when you get used to watching 480i or even 480p for that matter and then you watch material in 1080i or 720p! Incredible!