What's new

XBOX "bad disc" read errors (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Today I was playing Outlaw Golf, which I bought used from a guy on another forum. The disc actually looked pretty good on first inspection. I was playing today about halfway thru one of the courses and got a Bad Disc read error. There is a very small scratch which I can see. It doesn't look very deep, but who knows.

I have never really had this happen before, so I'm kinda at a loss with what I can do here. I guess I could ask for my money back. Aside from that, I was reading the warranty in the back of the book and it pretty much says that I have to have the original receipt to get a replacement disc.

Any ideas here?

Thanks, Aaron

Oscar_R

Second Unit
just started happening to me last week. first it started stuttering during FMV scenes, the progressed to disk read errors during gameplay. now it won't even recognize a disk upon insertion.
having graduated frm the school of Sony quality control i know what i must do next, Ebay that sucker and buy a new one. Repairing it costs half of what an ew console costs. ugh

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Just had to trade mine in at EB on Monday for the same reasons. My Xbox just got worse and worse. You know it's bad when you take out an absolutely brand new disc and, it gives you the bad disc bullshit.

If you have the extended warranty at EB, just take your box in and, they'll give you a brand new one.

Just remember to back up any saves you have, on a memory card. I almost got screwed because I forgot to do so.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I do, thankfully, have the 2 year entended warranty. But for some reason, I thought this was the game. Every other disk seems to work fine. I'm going to try and play the same character and course and see if I can replicate the problem.

Aaron

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
From the Morrowind forums:
We have worked with save games sent by gamers and have found that turning the autosave option off in the Options menu and then every one to two hours, saving your current game and then loading the save game may also clear up this error. If you are currently experiencing the dirty disc message sooner than 2 hours, you should save and reload your game earlier.
Saving frequently will not solve the problem by itself. You must load the game after you save it.
I haven't tried this, but if it works, post your results!
Good luck.
-Dave

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks Dave F for the link, I've seen threads about the dirt disks on another unofficial Morrowind forum.
For somebody who has supposedly given the [Morrowind] game away, has posted on other forums, has supposed kept 10 people from buying the game, he is still wasting his time reading the forum... Now that's odd. Amazing how some people just don't understand software design and debugging. I get this stuff with customers, expecting you to debug things in the field on unreproducable problems. It's tough, what we simulate is hardly what goes on in the real world.
But anyway, I've only had one fatal crash and my block size is now hovering around 200 with a level 24 assassin. But then again, I don't know "PgAdMF" so I guess all in the world is OK. ;)
Jay

ChristopherS

Second Unit
Thanks for providing that link. :)
I have not had much time for Morrowind lately but will play the game again this weekend and try the suggestions made by the person from Bethesda (MrSmileyFaceDude). This is my only XBOX game that has given me any problems and would definitely like to get back in to it.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks