Xbox audio distortion OH NO!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Simonian, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

My Xbox has been giving out stratchy distortion out of my left surround channel. Its REALLY annoying. Ive been having this problem for a week or two now. Sometimes, the audio will dropout completly. I would fix it by siwtching the imput on the receiver. VERY ANNOYING! That seemed to only happen when I rented GUNVALKYRIE. I can fix teh problem by unplugging then re-pluging in the fiber opitc cable. The distortion just keeps coming back. I havent been playing any ohter games other than PGR recently, so Im not too sure if it does it on my other games. (Halo, DOA3, Bloodwake) I remember hearing it in Halo too. UGH!!!

Do I have defective Xbox? AV pack? My receiver? What the hell, this sucks. I luv my Xbox sooo much.

Ps. Im sure that it is not from the first wave of Xboxes with the defective audio board. If it is, how can I check it to find out if it was from the first wave and how do I fix it?

2. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Scott,

It sounds like you got a defective box. I would call Microsoft and describe the problem to them. If it is one of the defective units, I have heard they are very good about replacing them.

-Dean-

3. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I would try swapping the optical cable or AV Pack with another one before sending the unit to be fixed.

-Dan

4. Scott Simonian

Is there any indication on the Xbox to tell if it is one of the first ones? Like a serial number.

5. Scott Simonian

Just looked at the bottom of the Xbox, - "Manufactured 2001 - 12 - 4"
    Just before Christmas. I hope I dont need to send it in. [​IMG]

6. Scott Simonian

Ive been playing PGR all day, so far no glitches. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I think it must have something to do with Gunvalkyrie, the only time PGR had an audio-dropout was AFTER I had played GV.
    Only time will tell....

7. Scott Simonian

"Murphey's Law" is [rant]REALLY[/rant] pissing me off right now. [​IMG]
    Im just about to get a new subwoofer tomorrow and now it could be my receiver getting F****d up. I was just watching Joy Ride (decent flick BTW), and my receiver kept going into some over-load mode or something. It hasnt happened before. Not only that, I got the same distortion in the left surround channel. UGH!
    I think its the speaker cable, its really old and I think that it has oxidized. We will see.

8. Scott Simonian

Well, I found out it was my receiver going bad. It has been progressivly been getting worse since my first post of this topic. The hissy, scratchy distortion had lept to all the channels (randomly) and the receiver would hiccup (kinda like skipping) randomly as well. I could not tolerate it. I unhooked everything, and took my dads Sony receiver from his room and gave him my old Pro-Logic receiver.

Ive been playing Xbox with this other receiver and have not had a single problem yet.