XBox as DVD player.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff L, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Auditioning

Is anyone using their XBox as the main DVD player in their setup. I am trying to decide if I should retire my first generation Toshiba DVD player to the bedroom and use the XBox for DVDs. Of course, I would use the XBox's digital hookups. Any thoughts on this idea? Thanks.

I also posted this question in A/V Hardware because I wan't sure which forum would be more appropriate.

2. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    I retired my 1st generation Sony player to the bedroom closet and, my Xbox is the main player.

I don't have any complaints with the performance of the Box. Can't really say I love the remote though. Sony, imho, has a MUCH better remote for the PS2 but, then again, I'm not watching movies on the remote...

3. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    Jeff,

I currently have four DVD players in the house (a Sony 670D carousel, the venerable Panasonic A-310, a PS2 and the Xbox). IMHO the Xbox blows away the PS2 for DVD playback. It is nearly as good as my 670D and produces a cleaner picture than the aging Panny.

In the May issue of Sound & Vision, there is a feature on the Xbox. Their review brings to light a couple of interesting bits, for example:

"It was genuinely startling to find, however, that the Xbox played DVD-R and DVD-RW discs recorded in standard DVD-Video format as well as DVD+RW discs made on the recent Philips recorder. The CD-R/RW limitations, in this light, seem to be deliberatte, as the disc drive itself can probably read them."

In their assessment of its capabilities as a DVD player they say:

"Make no mistake: this is a full-featured DVD player - about the only things missing are bookmarks and a remote eject button."

"Though the Xbox delivers a progressive scan signal for videogames that support 480p display, for movies you get only 480i (interlaced). Nonetheless, I found DVD image quality to be more than decent."

The reviewer sums it all up this way:

"Xbox is a first-rate gaming system that also does well with DVDs and music - and from a software company, no less. With a fully accessorized Xbox, your in for some tasty home entertainment."

In the end, it all boils down to what you're looking for. So far, I've been very impressed with the Xbox hardware and a little disappointed by some of the software. But, I felt much the same way about my PS2 last year at this time. Today, the PS2 boasts a huge library with a lot of great games, but IMHO, the hardware pales in comparison to the Xbox. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Gary

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Compared to a first gen player, the Xbox is better. But compared to a current player around $225-$250, the Xbox would lose. The picture is almost garish in the color balance, IMO.

-Dave

5. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Jeff: I'm also using the X-Box as my primary DVD player. For my budget HT system it does a great job! I have yet to find a DVD that won't play properly on it. This can't be said for the PS2! The only down-side is the remote, IT SUX!

6. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

No way!

I wouldn't even consider using my XBOX as a main DVD player. Just think of the extra wear and tear your putting on it.

After a few hours running for games, then a few more hours for a DVD movie...that can be a bit much, IMO.

7. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

i did use my xbox as a dvd player until i hooked up my pc instead.

i'd say, if you have a plain jane tv, don't worry about it. but if you have a digital/hd set, you're going to want progressive scan and the xbox just won't cut it as a dvd player.

-gary

8. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I leave my Xbox on all the time for days at a time. You guys that baby your consoles crack me up. I need it to last 3 years, that's it.

9. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Jerry: That's why I bought it, so I wouldn't HAVE TO also buy a DVD player. That's also why my system is called a "Budget HT system". Unlike most guys at this forum I can't afford to spend another $150-250 bucks for a comparable DVD player. Besides Larry's right, in 2-4 years it's going to be shelved or replaced with something better anyway!