Xbox as DVD Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Can, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Jim Can

Jim Can Stunt Coordinator

How is the quality of the movies? Does it include a zoom feature? I was looking at the remote at the store and didn't see a zoom button. I thought I read somewhere that it can zoom.

2. MaxY

MaxY Guest

The video quality is not that bad.

Yes it has a zoom but it is menu based and a little ackward to use. Infact that would be my biggest complaint about the X-box as a DVD player is that unless you start a movie up and put down the remote until it is over, then it feels very ackward when compared to a stand alone player.

The scanning does not feel right, angle, Sound, and Zoom controls are menu based rather then single button pushes.

Max

3. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I never used a regular DVD player before, but I did use my xbox as a DVD player and the remote and on screen functions were a little aggrivating till I got it figured out. The picture looked good, but they could have done a better job with the remote. Some buttons would tell me the function wasn't available and for some reason, the Full Screen picture wouldn't fit full screen on the TV. Anyone know why? They offer 3 modes....full screen, 16:9 and letterbox. Since I was using a 4:3 TV, I selected Full Screen and had about 3" on the top and bottom blacked out with bars. Going to 16:9 or letterbox made the black bars even bigger. Does this make sense? I'm waiting to rent another DVD and see if it happens again or if it was just that particular movie.

4. MaxY

MaxY Guest

David,

You had a letterboxed DVD. Most movies on DVD right now have those black bars to preeserve the width of the movie as it appeared in the theater, because movie theater screens are shapped differently then 4x3 TV screens.

Max

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Out of curiosity, anyone compare the Xbox DVD functions to the PS2 DVD functions? I know neither one are exemplary DVD players in their own right, just wondering if they are about the same, or if one performs any better than the other...

6. Michael St. Clair

Function-wise, the Xbox player is kludgy.
    Picture-wise, it is one of the better interlaced players I have seen. This is definitely a better interlaced player (for picture quality) than most of the name-brand low and mid-end players from the likes of Toshiba and Sony (but not necessarily Pioneer and Panasonic).
    All my opinion.
    ps It works with RCA all-in-one codes, but I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps you get more buttons that way and it is less kludgy.

7. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

Oh, I didn't know that. So I guess that would happen with any DVD in any DVD player and it wasn't just my movie or xbox. (can you tell I never watched a DVD before this?!!). Thanks for the info.

8. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Ok, first and foremost, the XBOX dvd player looks way better than the PS2 dvd player on my 57HX81. We did a A-B comparison and without a doubt, the xbox wins.

9. MaxY

MaxY Guest

David,

It really depends on the DVD. Some have Full screen version and some have both but most have at least a widescreen letterbox version. Read the boxes and they are usually forthcoming with info. Look under special features and if you see widescreen it will have black bars, if it says full screen it will not. I suggest you give the bars a chance as it shows you a much more complete version of the movie.

Max

10. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

also, I can confirm (and several others on this board) that the Xbox does a pretty decent job at PAL to NTSC conversion. Popped in a couple R0 UK PAL discs and the xbox played them back just fine. I didn't notice any geometric distortions in the picture like cheaper DVD players that can do PAL/NTSC conversion (like my old Apex and Sampo players), but I wasn't exactly trying to do an exhaustive search.

For PAL playback I'll probably still continue to use my Malata simply for the zoom capabilities and the fact that it's region free. However, it is pretty nifty that the Xbox can do the conversion; if someone were able to figure out how to defeat the region enforcement on the xbox, then it'd be interesting to see if the box starts to get picked up by members here more for its HT applications rather than specifically for gaming.