XBOX as DVD Player Option

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JimH, Sep 21, 2001.

1. JimH

JimH Auditioning

At ebgames.com I see accessories for the XBOX are now listed. Along with the DVD player option I see they have three video output options, the best being a High Definition option that supports "480i/p, 720p, 1080i" along with digital sound out (5.1). It would appear, contrary to a post I read elsewhere, that the XBOX will definitely support progressive scan, and also 720p (imagine games at this resolution!) Does anyone have additional info on this issue? I already planned to get the XBOX but I did not think it would end up providing an option for high definition DVD output. Thanks for any info.

2. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

After HEATED discussion about this on AVS forum the conclusion is that signs point to there NOT being HD DVD output, but there is definitely HD Video game output. (For info check out xbox.com, in the hardware section they list this periferal and it says NTSC only for DVDs)

3. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

4. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

Aaron,
    You have no idea how hard I had to push to get them to add the NTSC comment to the website. The reasons are legal, not technical.

5. Matty B

Stacey-
    PLEASE enlighten me on this, it will give me ammunition for the discussion on the AVS forum.

6. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I second that, StaceyS. I'd LOVE to hear what happened behind the scenes!
    From your location (Redmond, WA) you might work for MS? [​IMG]
    Aaron

7. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

ALL games will output into 480p as long as you have an HDTV pack plugged in! Getting games out at 720p and 1080i is a different stroy due to the amount of resources that would take. I'm sure that in the future we'll see some games take adavantage of 720p and 1080i once developers get used to the hardware.
    [Edited last by Tim Hess on September 21, 2001 at 01:30 PM]

8. Matty B

One of the release games is 1080i, test drive.

9. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Would you care to post a link showing TD as a 1080i title?
    And since you are talking about launch you are referring to Test Drive: Wide Open?

10. StaceyS

I can't really comment on anything other than what it posted on the XBOX website, which is 100% correct. Which section is the XBOX thread located on AVS?
    Output of 480p vs. 720p vs. 1080i is game dependent. I will look into TD to see if it really does 1080i.

11. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I kind of expected a delay of the release. What do you know, here it is.
    Microsoft to Delay Xbox Release
    Jon
    [Edited last by Jon_B on September 22, 2001 at 12:39 AM]

12. Matty B

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...xbox_dc_6.html
    There's a link everyone can see. That is pretty disheartening news. I was referring to test drive:wide open as the only launch title to do 1080i btw.
    I dont see why people think it would be so rough. My P2-450 with a Gforce 2 at work could handle 1024x768 EASILY.

13. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

My theory on the loss/removal/nonexistance of progressive DVD playback is one dictated by the realities of the video game industry. Console systems by nature are money losers. The R&D, marketing, etc. make building console machines an expensive enterprise. However, the money is to be made in game licensing fees, game revenues, developer kits to build games for that system, etc. The console itself is basically a big fancy loss leader.
    If the XBox came running out w/ high quality progressive DVD playback (like I was hoping [​IMG]), then there may have been quite the posibility on a run on XBoxes to an audience that would in some likelihood not purchase enough software to offset the initial money lost on the system. On paper, the specs for DVD playback seemed promising (certainly better than the PS2s...ugh, playing DVDs on my PS2 was certainly a pain in the arse) and because of that there was indeed quite a demand for the system primarily for its DVD playback capabilities.
    Now, the question is, if the system can provide a progressive signal for games, then it shouldn't be hard to extrapolate that it probably can for DVDs as well. Wonder how long before the 'scene has a mod chip to do just this. [​IMG] ah well, not like I'd have used the XBox as my primary dvd player!

14. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

If you can, please post a link to the source stating that Test Drive: Wide Open is going to be running at 1080i.
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Tim Hess
    Producer
    Infogrames
    Unreal Championship
    [Edited last by Tim Hess on September 21, 2001 at 06:59 PM]

15. StaceyS

James, good theory, but it is a macrovision issue nothing more. Trust me on that one.

16. Michael St. Clair

17. StaceyS

18. Michael St. Clair

I was not aware that second generation progressive players added macrovision to progressive modes. Does PC with a software player have macrovision on progressive modes? Does the PC Win32 version of Ravisent's DVD playback software outputting on an NVidia chipset have a DVD license? In what way is this configuration different than what Ravisent prepared for the XBox?
    quote: If you want a great DVD player, buy a Panasonic or Kenwood. [/quote] Heh, try telling that to people with superior scaling HTPCs!
    Ok, I'll revise my list. Can anybody adress it?
    1) The only way to record from an analog progressive interface is via a lossy W-VHS VCR that is extremely expensive and is not marketed to american consumers.
    2) Protected DVCP/DVI interfaces will be the only 'better than NTSC' input on future recorders that are marketed to american consumers.
    3) Anybody wanting to pirate DVD can simply use lossless ripping programs that are widespread in use already.
    4) Anybody who wants progressive DVD output doesn't need an XBOX, they can simply use a progressive DVD player or PC DVD playback software.
    Did the MPAA kill the XBOX progressive DVD output? If so, what have they accomplished other than denying the consumer of a good deal? They certainly won't affect piracy.
    Does Bill Gates bow to Jack Valenti?
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on September 22, 2001 at 03:21 PM]

19. StaceyS

No, HTPCs do not have macrovision as they are PCs. You can not do macrovision over RGBHV. PCs are a generic device and fall into some sort of black hole. [​IMG]
    MPAA has nothing to do with it. Those who govern the DVD license are the ones you want to blame. I forget the exact group. If you are not macrovision approved, you are a no go. I believe the fine is ~$100k per player sold if you don't do as you are told. MS plans to ship 1.5 million XBOXs, that would be a huge fine! [​IMG]
    It will be some time before you see a DVD licensee release a player that outputs more than 480p. Toshiba and Panasonic will probably be the first when this happens. (Toshiba invented DVD and is the boss.)
    I hear Parasound has a DVD player coming that scales, but I bet they are not a licensee. They are probably OEMing like Theta and many others. In this case they do not have the same restrictions.

20. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

So will it be able to output a 480p DVD signal or not?
    And if PCs are not affected by Macrovision, I shouldn't be seeing an error about Macrovision when I try to play a DVD with PowerDVD through the TV Out on my TNT2.
    [Edited last by Graeme Clark on September 23, 2001 at 08:34 PM]