Xbox as a HTPC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Jul 30, 2001.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

This may be a dumb question, but will Microsoft's Xbox be a viable alternative to a HTPC. The AV adapter adds component out and the unit supports native SVGA and XGA resolutions. I think it also has the latest greatest video chip (or whatever) that's used in PCs.
    I confess that I don't know much about PCs (just Macs) but am I missing something here?
    For that matter, will a Playstation II work? I know it sucks as a stand alone DVD player, but how about as a system to drive a projector?

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Xbox and PS2 will both work -as a DVD player. Xbox is supposed to support progressive scan (and there have been rumors that PS2 will eventually).
    That said, neither is yet capable of scaling the resolution like a HTPC can. At best you get a capable progressive scan DVD player. Microsoft has claimed HD support but hasn't actually announced any specifics leading me to believe it's just marketing hyperbole.
    -Camp

3. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I just emailed a buddy who works on the Xbox team and he said at this point, the Xbox won't support progressive scan. I was, however, under the impression that Xbox would support 600x800 as well as 1024x768 resolution.

4. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, well, the key question is whether it will support 1080i for DVD output. If it only outputs DVD at 480i (and maybe 480p), then it cannot compete with a HTPC for DVD.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The PS2 is supposed to have a software update with the Sony remote that will support progressive scan. I heard the XB would support prog scan, but obviously that was wrong. I wonder if the DVD add-on will enable it.