Xbox as a DVD player?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Brian Johnson, Sep 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering if anyone has any problems using their Xbox as a DVD player.
    I just sold my DVD player & ordered a third party 5 in 1 Xbox remote off of ebay.
    Are there any known problems? Does it play movies in DTS?
    Are there any "features" zoom,frame by frame advance,etc?
    I have it hooked up with the HD pack to my TV and use an optical cable to the receiver.
    Thanks for your time.
    Brian

2. LanceH

LanceH Agent

I never bothered to investigate what the Xbox's DVD playing specs are. However, I can say that it's worked WAY better as a DVD player than the PS2 ever did. The Xbox has never had a problem reading or playing a DVD movie.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Well...the XBOX has had some problems, but not as many as the PS2, but there more PS2s out there to experiment with and a new version coming soon. Here is a list of known problems:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/315/315957p1.html

4. Brian Johnson

Wow. Thanks for the replies.
    I should be getting the remote any day.
    Glad to see not many discs are on the "Bad" list for the XBOX.
    I only have 1 movie on the bad list(Me,Myself,& Irene) that will be the first one I play [​IMG]

Still had one more unanswered question, but I will read through that IGN see if I can find the answer....
    Will it play DTS encoded movies?

Thanks again.
    Will let everyone know my initial impressions from True DVD player to Also Plays DVDs [​IMG]

5. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of problems With the ps2 dvd player I noticed something very interesting. On my US region ps2 when I would use it in america the dvd would have problems with alot of movies, when I moved to japn my US ps2 when from having many problems playing dvds to no problems at all. Now I didnt do any research but I do have a theory. decrease in watts from the outlet. I sware that dvds that I could not play at all before on it play flawlessly now!! Also my JP ps2 never had problems playing a dvd either(region 2 though). go figure!!!

6. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

That lists of "Bad disks" on the Xbox is based only people that have a problem with them. The guy says before the lists that he get letters from both sides saying it works and doesn't work. I guess, The ones he lists he gets more doesn't work, than does.

I've watched half of those movies on that lists for the Xbox and never had a problem with any of them. I bought my Xbox 3 months after it came out.

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I use an X Box as my primary DVD player and I haven't had any problems with it. It does play DTS discs.

8. Brian Johnson

Nevermind