Xbox and the PC-duplication?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

So here's my problem. I really didn't want to like the Xbox...after all it's just a specialized PC right? But after renting one I seem to be hooked on it. What I'm wondering though, is how many of the games will I eventually be able to get on my PC? I've seen mention of a PC Halo already-what about others? Honestly, if I'll end up being able to get all of the Xbox games I want on my PC then I might just have to stick with that. Any thoughts?

2. Scott FP

Scott FP Agent

I just read a excellent reply in the Game Hardware section that may have some bearing on your question.

I asked a similar question asking if the game quality on a Xbox could be reproduced on a similar PC.

The answer I got was yes, but keep in mind that a game developer for the PC is trying to develop for multiple PC configurations. What would look great on one PC may chug along on another PC, thus the game would have to be "scaled" back to accomodate these other PCs. This is why you may see "patches" for PCs with different sound/video cards. The developer probably couldn't anticipate EVERY possible configuration.

With the Xbox the game developer has one set of rules. If the game tests out great then you know it will be great for all Xbox owners.

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Even if it were possible to easily port the games, the XBox is still a console, and caters to a different crowd. Most of the games have slim to no chance of being released on the PC.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

You sure about that? I've heard a few people mention Halo for the PC (which would REALLY help the multiplayer) and I can see Munch's Oddysee ending up on the PC sometime. Add Starfighter to that list, and I'm sure that if Obi Wan is well received it'll make it back to the PC as well.

5. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Halo was developed first for the PC, but made an Xbox exclusive(at least for consoles) when Microsoft bought developer Bungie. If anything, you will see more PC to Xbox conversions (i.e. Max Payne, Unreal Championship etc.) than the other way around.

I'm an avid PC gamer, but also enjoy console gaming and am certainly glad to have an Xbox, and Halo!!

BTW, Halo is still coming to the PC sometime next year.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think its more about PC games getting ported to the X-Box than X-Box games getting ported to PC.

More games for the X-Box are on PS2 or GCN also than on PC.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    one thing i like about console gaming, is that no worries that your hardware isnt fast enough to play the games, or compatibility issues and stuff...
    Consoles, one size fits all.. No worries... [​IMG]

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Considering that the X-Box is cheaper than the price of just the graphics processor equivalent for PC gives it the upper hand against PCs.

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

10. Graeme Clark

11. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Graeme-

Take your list and remove all the games that will be on PC (or scheduled to be) and then pull out all the ones not on another console in some form and you get:

Munch

Obi-Wan

Shrek

Amped

Dead or Alive 3

Mad Dash

Fuzion Frenzy

Those are the games that you have the best chance of getting on the X-Box. There may be some I missed or am unsure of.

Of those games, I have only heard good things about 3 or 4 of them. I'm not trying to diss the X-Box, but that is a pretty weak list.

Oh, and PC technology will fly by the X-Box, but so will the price. Right now, there are chips more expensive than the X-Box that don't produce the same results. Even if PC technology is better than the X-Box, its still a ton more expensive.

13. Graeme Clark

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

They have tried to make Episode I games, but the only ones that worked ended up like Rogue Squadron or were racing games. Pretty much every other one sucked (maybe one didn't, but the rest did). That begs the question, why do they keep trying?

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Morgan,
    I'm going to keep it civil with you since you happened to make some decent points in your post but again I want to reiterate that if you are going to make a statement about a game or a system give YOUR opinion not what you heard as no one really cares what you heard about these games. We all hear different things and the only thing we can do is discuss our own personal opinions. With that said....
    I understand what you are saying but I dont think your looking at the other side of the coin either. There are quite a few titles that you missed on that list of yours:
    WWF Raw is War
    Project Ego
    Panzer Dragoon
    Gunvalkyrie
    Azurik Rise of Perathia
    Nightcaster
    Enclave
    House of the Dead 3
    Dino Crisis 3
    The Matrix
    Shenmue 2
    Giants X (a whole new game based in the Giants universe)
    Black and White next generation (another whole new game)
    All of these titles are as of right now X-box exclusive. That may change in the future but as of right now the X-box is the only system that will have these games. That sure doesn't look like a weak list.
    Also the argument that if you take away the titles that are coming on other systems and PC can also be used for the PS2 and to an extent the GCN. If you really dig deep allot of the top tier PS2 titles right now are coming for the X-box and GCN. Allot of GCN titles are coming for the X-box (except of course first party nintendo games).
    I think people overlook the graphical enhancements and the features that developers will add to the X-box and GCN versions. If you have played GTA3 on the PS2 you know the system is working its butt off to play the game since its streaming everything. The X-box could cache all that on the HD and make the game run even smoother. Plus you could imagine ripping tracks on the HD and making your own radio stations (something I hear they may implement!).
    Silent Hill 2 is getting a whole new scenario for the X-box that last 4-6 hours. Who knows what will be on the X-box version of Metal Gear SolidX!?
    I'm not even mentioning if developers take the time to fix framerate issues a game may have or small things that more powerful hardware will allow. If developers take their time they can make their games even better. I for one will buy the best version available (even if I have to rebuy a game..Im a collector also!!) [​IMG]
    By the way Matty, Graeme is correct Obi-wan was cancelled for the PC a long time ago. I doubt there will be a pc version anytime soon. I cant comment on the quality of the game since I have not played it (although screenshots are not instilling much hope) but I can say that there were some decent Episode 1 games. Jedi Power Battles for the DC is a great example. It was an excellent game and it was 10 times the better game than the PSX version IMHO.
    To change gears here for a sec.. Let me get this out of the way first and foremost I am a huge PC gamer...more so than a console gamer. I have bought nearly 30 PC titles this year and with that in mind I have to say that Graeme and Scott have a point when saying developers have to scale back their games to meet the lowest common denominator. You can imagine what kind of a system you would need to run Halo.[​IMG] Allot of people dont have that and I think the X-box is a good alternative for those who cant afford a Geforce 3 and an uber-system to boot. Mind this is coming from someone that has a Geforce 3 and a decent system behind it and I am still looking forward to seeing Morrowind and other titles on the X-box (anything to save me hard drive space on my computer[​IMG])
    In the end I'm thinking the impossible is possible. With the brisk sales of both the X-box and the GCN I think the market can actually support three. Thats a good thing if you ask me![​IMG]

16. Graeme Clark

Morgan-

The topic is not "XBox exclusive titles"

17. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I thought that Obi Wan was part of the Dark Forces Universe? If so, it wouldn't work on a console, and should ONLY be played on a PC, but if it's something like Jedi Adventures or whatever, that is a different story.

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

19. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

20. Romier S

Romier S Producer