What's new

xbox and cd-r's (1 Viewer)

DavidAM

Second Unit
Just curious if anyone has any luck having their xbox reading a cd-r. I wanted to rip some music from burned disks to the hard drive but it won't recognize the discs.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
Nope... Xbox won't read cd-r's.

Apperently some Xboxes read som cd-rw's, but I haven't had any luck with that either.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I've read that there's some kind of list somewhere listing the sorts of CD-RW's (and CD-R's?) that a non-modded Xbox will read. I have used multiple sorts of CD-R's for other purposes and threw some of them in my Xbox to see if they would work. I have yet to come across one that does. Not a big deal, though, as the music I rip to it comes from the original CD's.

James T

Screenwriter
I had the list. The Xbox can read CD-Rs and CD-RWs, it's just that it has problems reading certain brands. I ripped a few songs to my Xbox when I just got it, but I cannot remember which CD I used. Then when I got WWE Raw2, I must have bought about 5 differnt CD-RWs to test which worked. Unfortuneately, none of them worked.

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem with cd-r disks on my xbox, after some googling I found a site that suggested cd-rw. bought a few sony cd-rw disks (cd-rw650hs) and burnt my music to those, put it in the xbox and everything worked fine. Since it' a cd-rw you can reuse them (make sure you do a full erase or you can have "can't recognize" errors). Also Memorex, Maxell, and Imation cd-rw's all receive good reviews at xbox-scene.com. Hope that helps.

cheers,

Zed

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator

I've only tried Memorex, but they have never worked on my Xbox. I think the time period when your Xbox was manufactured factors into which ones can be used.

ZoranM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kevin, yes your right time frame does matter as the XBOX uses a few different dvd drives depending on which generation machine it is. The original XBOX came with a Thomson drive which was notorious for read errors on all disks cd-r,cd-rw, and even actual game disks. The best drive to have is the Samsung drive which will play most cd-rw, and even a few cd-r's.

To get a better idea of which drive a person has they can go to: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...T&f=41&t=82908 and compare their dvd tray to the ones in the post.

Hope that helps

cheers,

Zoran

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks