xbox and calibration question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by shane_watson, Jun 15, 2002.

1. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

if i calibrate my set with s&v ,i know all my dvd viewing,and digital cable viewing will improve,but will this affect the way my xbox games look,because after calibration all my lines will be softer,thats something that may be a negative aspect of calibration.i need any opinions from someone who has done this thanks

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Xbox looks great to me

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I did adjustments on my Panny 47 and the Xbox still looks fine to me. Just disabled SVM and the games look even better. What games are you concerned about? I can say that DOA3 is reference material for my TV now.

4. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

im playing hunter right now,i was concerned because its a dark game. thanks for the help

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Although my TV lets you set different levels for each input, I've always played my games (from Atari 2600 to Playstation 2) at about the same levels as I watch my movies, and they look great, not washed-out at all, though it might appear that way if you're used to seeing everything like that. I've noticed the brightness and contrast on arcade game monitors are often set too high, which spoils the quality of the graphics (not to mention BURN-IN!)

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I use the same calibration for DVD, games, and television viewing. While the result is a picture that is darker than average I've gotten used to it.

7. Robert P. Jones

Robert P. Jones Second Unit

Shane -

Why would you say your lines would be softer after a calibration? If I can't see scanlines on DVD at 10' after a calibration, I don't feel like the calibration has been done correctly.

And I always see scanlines at 10' after one of my calibrations. That's the ultimate in sharpness, for 480p.

Of course, no scanlines are visible on HD, which is one of the reasons it is so much better than DVD.

Bur checking for scanlines on DVD is a must.

Mr Bob

8. Rachmat Hartono

XBox should look as sharp as any other component input, but darker. I can definitely tell when playing Halo/Morrowind. Some games allow you to increase the gamma/brightness from their setting such as Hunter, but with other games, I would have to increase the brightness/contrast a bit...

9. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Sean Moon - how did you adjust SVM on your Panny? Through the service menu? What was it called?

Robert P - you meant to say that you should see scan lines from ten inches away but no further, or ten feet away but no further?

10. Robert P. Jones

I'm saying that after one of my calibrations, you'll be able to see scanlines clearly as far away as 10 feet, on DVDs. That's the absolute best an RPTV can look. Crystal clear.

Usually the focus and convergence make that very hard to do without being really up close, like 3 feet away, when your unit is fresh out of the box.

If then, at all.

Mr Bob

11. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

After calibrating my set, my PS2 and Gamecube games were a bit too dark and lacked a bit of color. All I did was bump up the color a few notches as well as the brightness and now dvds, games and regular TV all look great.

12. Robert P. Jones

Different sources sometimes put out differing light and/or color levels. Calibration is to get you to calibrated center, usually using DVD for doing that.

After that, various sources may require tweaking like that, esp. those within the same scanrate, like 480i.

Mr Bob