XBox a Potential Tool for Predators?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Abby_B, Jun 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

Protection from predators
    In the realm of people who use the Internet to prey on children, there is a new tool: the Xbox 360.

Cyber predators wasted no time figuring out that the wildly popular game system can put them in contact with youngsters.

A feature on Microsoft Xbox 360 game systems allows voice communication for direct, real-time contact between players -- in addition to the instant messaging or chat rooms used by other games.

Child advocates fear direct contact might make the games a new hunting ground for computer-savy predators.

Rest of story here

I already had Cybertipline bookmarked in case I need to report any shady people I see on the web who might be soliciting kids or whatever- I think it's really awful that now every kind of interactive media seems to have this threat now!

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i bet the telephone could be used in this way as well. better not let this technology slip into the wrong hands!

no matter what communication tool they use, parental supervision and responsibility are the most important to protect your kids. which is, sadly, why some internet predators will continue to be "successful".

CJ

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Not just interactive media. Human interaction in general. The only cure is misanthropy.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    totally right. the xbox isn't creating any predators, which it almost sounds like is being suggested.

CJ

6. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

While certainly all of the responses above are correct, it is the use of the 360 that can take kids off gaurd. A telephone is one thing. An unassuming device such as a game machine has not seen this kind of activity (at least not reported till now).

Hopefully, parents are making kids aware of new potential predator problems as they learn about them. Talking to strangers on the street, talking to unknown callers. Now online predators. I would bet that most parents have not considered the gaming box sitting in their kids bedroom. Of course it is not the fault of the 360, but it is new - That is the issue here in my mind.

I am fairly certain that kids meet frinds this way all the time. I can see it as being a very (scary) situation where a group of friends are online doing there thing with outsiders joining in. A kid is going to assume it is another kid if the person presents themselves this way. All other parental lessons about other devises or situations are out the window and you have a problem.

It is good for these kinds of stories to hit the media. It makes people aware so that they may protect themselves and their families.

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I would hope that kids and parents have the sense to recognize classes of potential threats before they read about specific ones in the newspaper...

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Fear...Fear...Fear...FEAR !

You know it's sad where the media and the Powers that be have to keep pumping fear into people to make the scared and apathetic to events around them. I think if parents just use their heads, pay attention to what their kids are doing.. and maybe even take an interest.. try playing a game or two. And either supervise the use of or take the headset away this is a non issue.

I'm amazed that Dateline has become the Search for Sexual Predators every week, well not really if it were'nt they might actually have to report some real news, we would'nt want that.

9. Abby_B

Abby_B Supporting Actor

I agree. I know that the article pointed out that there are relatively few cases of this now - although the head of Cybertipline did mention that it's a growing concern - but I wouldn't be surprised at all if those numbers start going up real quick - especially once the PS3 and the Nintendo Wii are in stores and homes - both of those systems are going to have online gaming platform potential, right? I think it's probably better to start making both kids and parents aware of the situation now, and to start them talking about it with their kids, especially because I think there are so many parents who probably don't know that their kids video gaming console is a potential portal for predator types. (I know my mom didn't know how to do anything back with my gaming consoles in the day, so it's probably better to err on the side of too much information rather than too little.)

10. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

I'm a fan of misanthropy myself...but if that doesn't work for you...heh.

Seriously though, I get tired of hearing stuff like this. Sure, predators COULD use it, but I just love how the media types get a hold of stuff like this (MySpace comes to mind) puts it on the airwaves as it it's going to happen to EVERY user and then apparently people seemingly buy into it. Predators have always existed. Educate your kids, take appropriate security measures on your computers, etc., but it seems they want to breed this sensationalistic paranoia into the mindset of (ignorant) adults, which will only make things worse.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Ignorant and Scared People don't pay attention to what's going on around them.