xbox 5.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Murphy, May 19, 2002.

1. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

I've rented xbox and had to use the regular patch cords to my system. How is the A/V pack different? What connections are there available?
    A friend and I played Halo about 14 hours straight. Thank goodness for long weekends!![​IMG]
    Needless to say playing Halo on a 100 inch screen just rocks! However I would've liked to hear those crazy alien comments in 5.1.
    Soon to be an Xbox owner.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Wayne, the hi-def pack ($20) that you can buy at any BB or CC has a digital audio connection via toslink (optical) that you cannot get from the Advanced pack. The advanced pack has S-video connection and analog L/R audio outputs if I'm not mistaken. The hi-def pack has component connections for better picture than S-Video and the digital sound is to die for. Halo on 5.1 is a supreme gaming experience. When you are walking in the ship in the first stage for instance, and you are in the maintenance corridor (when he has to use the flashlight), the echo's of his shoes hitting the metallic floor echo into the back left and right speakers...it's very, very cool and adds a lot to the experience and helps greatly in the gaming.

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Yeah 5.1 rocks! On another note, Xbox accessories are discounted like crazy at local KB toys. If one is going to buy an Xbox, one should do so NOW!

4. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Travis...thanks for the correction. My bad.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

5.1 is indeed awesome. Not just on the marquee games, but games like Simpsons Road Rage also benefits. If you pass up a guy you're supposed to pick up you can hear him calling for you in the rear/left or rear/right channel depending on where he is in relation to your vehicle.
    Once you go 5.1, you can't go back! [​IMG]
    Keep in mind that whatever pack you buy (I have the HiDef pack) you will need to purchase an optical cable separately.

7. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Does your (in general) reciever's digital light (if you have one) for Dolby Digital light up when XBOX sends out the signal?

-Bert

8. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yes, when a game has 5.1, my receiver says Dolby Digital 3/2 (three distinct fronts, two distinct rears). When it's in the menu mode (no game) I think it only comes up stereo. I can hear the A/V receiver "click" when it senses the game's audio stream. Keep in mind I only have DOA3, Madden & Simpsons so I'm not sure what percentage of XBox games have 5.1.

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Carlo, I believe ALL X-Box games have 5.1 because it's inherent in the hardware on the console. I could be wrong about that, so somebody correct me if I am.