What's new

Xbox 360 locking up (1 Viewer)

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I would mention that I received my brand new 360 on August 22, red ring dead on August 31. Received a definitely not new refurbed crap unit (even the disc tray was dirty) on September 20. Why is it that I send them a unit that is a week old and I get some used piece o' crap back? If I wanted that I would have bought a used unit in the first place.

When the disc actually loads on the new unit it plays fine but sometimes I have to open and close the tray 4 or 5 times before it will actually recognize that there is a disc in the drive.

I'll be calling Microsoft again today. It looks like it will be another three weeks before I'll be playing again.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
My 360 locked up last night after a PGR3 update over Live. It restarted and froze, so I turned it off and on again. Got the 3 red lights flashing. Did all of the recommended reboot hocus-pocus (detaching harddrive, etc.) nothing worked. Called 1-800-4MY-XBOX, and spoke to a very nice woman in India who couldn't help me any further. They are sending a me a box for my return.

I purchased mine in Dec 2005, and have had no problems until now. I did not buy an extended warranty, nor had I bothered to register my unit. The woman at the call center was nice enough to register my unit for me on the phone, and stated that my warranty was good until Jan 2007. It would seem that perhaps the manufacturer's warranty is being extended to a year--maybe only for this problem? I dunno--either way, I'm not complaining…

So, my question is this--if they repair or send a refurbished unit, will I lose all of my save games, downloaded content, and anything on my hard drive? Or will they transfer everything? Anyone know? Also, what's the turnaround time looking like? 2-3 weeks? 2-3 months?

Andy

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Ah--that would make sense, wouldn't it? :)

Actually, I was thinking about that, but after reading so much about disconnecting the HDD and restarting helping some folks, it made me wonder whether or not the HDD was the problem.

Thanks though.

Andy

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida

For me it was less than 2-3 weeks . . . both times I had to send a unit back!!!

Odds are they won't repair it, just send you a refurb as soon as they receive your unit. You should actually get it back in under two weeks.

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator

The first one that I had to return came back 2 and a half weeks after I called. I'm hoping the second one that I've had to return takes around the same amount of time.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Well, that's good to hear. Playing through Call of Duty again, and I'm jonesin' to get back up and running!

A side note that adds to my frustration. I just got back from Europe, (Oktoberfest in Munich, Prague, London, Paris), and one of the great things about my 360, is that I have it linked to my computer using Windows Media Connect. I can show digital pics on my HDTV while streaming mp3's from my machine too. I was actually getting set to show off some photos. This is after I had bragged to my friends about this cool fringe benefit of having a 360. Nothing like the impression that the 3 red rings leaves, eh? Nothing like it. No matter how much I talk up the 360, I now have 3 friends that will *never* buy one, as they were there to witness this whole thing. Two of them are former MS employees (developers) and all 3 own original Xboxes…

James Ryfun

Stunt Coordinator
Just a small update, as I've had to look into this myself. Microsoft has indeed extended the manufacturers warranty to one year any unit which was manufactured in 2005. For instance, I bought my 360 in February of this year, but since the system was manufactured in December of 2005, my original warranty is good until next February. I have not purchased an extended warranty. Check the back of your 360 to find the date the system was assembled, or it's "birth date."

Now I just have to wait for the box to arrive so I can send it out for repair. It's gonna be tough living without my 360 for 2-3 weeks. :frowning:

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
Well--my Xbox arrived last night. So far, everything is great on the gaming and XBLive side. The only problem I'm having is getting Windows Media Connect to work and get my Xbox to find my computer. It may be because I upgraded to WMP11 Beta, which takes over for Windows Media Connect. It doesn't work well at all. Sharing just doesn't work. I really wish I hadn't gone with WMP11. Ah, well. I'll keep trying.

But, all in all, I really have no complaints about the MS return/repair process. I really got my box back very quickly. My support call was on the night of 10/3, and they sent me a postage paid box, I returned it, and they got my repaired box back by 10/19. No hassles about warranties, etc. Not bad at all.

Andy Anderson

Second Unit
FYI, I rolled back to WMP10, and re-installed Windows Media Connect, and everything's working perfectly.

Back up and happily playing again though COD2.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks