1. I'm somewhat interested in the possibility that the Xbox 360 might be usable as a HTPC.

I'm no expert in this area, but it would be great if you could configure the 360 for custom resolutions to avoid fixed-pixel scalers.

That said, it probably won't do anything beyond cookie-cutter 480p/720p/1080i.

If anyone has heard anything, please speak up.

2. Matt Wright

Matt Wright Stunt Coordinator

No one knows the mod potential of the Xbox 360 yet. However it won't be nearly the same as the original Xbox due to a totaly different CPU architecture being used. The first Xbox was a 733Mhz Intel Pentium 3 derivative and so it could run x86 code. The Xbox 360 uses a customized tripple-core based on the PowerPC architecture.

What we do know is that the Xbox 360 is supposed to ship with the MCE extender client built in. Since the Xbox 360 is HD-ready that should mean that the Xbox 360 is a perfect MCE extender that can playback recorded HDTV (the current group of extender boxes and the Xbox 1 extender software do not).

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

WAIT!!!!!

I would certainly not put my money down on the first itineration of the XBOX 360. Bill Gates has hinted that they may add an HD-DVD drive to a version 2 of the 360 possibly next year in order to try to soften the blow of the PlayStation 3 coming out with Blu-Ray support and dual 1080p ouput along with the new CELL chip architecture right out of the gates in mid 2006.

Don't be too hasty and I'd see what the PlayStation 3 can do and MS's answer will be. 2006 could be the year of the biggest drag out, knock down fistacuffs brawl between Sony and Blu-Ray and MS and HD-DVD! Let's see what happens!

Dan

4. Thing is, I'm not really interested in HD-whatever.

I'm mostly interested in a box that would make my DVDs look as good as possible.

Far as I've heard, that would be a HTPC which scales to the exact fixed-pixel count of my future HDTV.

Assuming the 360 had a robust monitor driver list, this could be possible, affordable, and simple.

But I'm not really holding my breath.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

According to PlayStation 3 specs. it has this ability, plus a longer upsampling feature that isn't real time, but sits and compiles a more sophisticated interpolation of lower resolution sources up to 1920x1080p if the speculation is to be believed.

And you're already set with a fully funtional Blu-Ray high definition audio/video movie player that can output at 1920x1080p.

The retail price may not be much more than the 360.

And now I've read Bill Gates has backpeddled on the idea of upgrading the 360 with an HD-DVD drive, and stated he'll remain neutral on the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray deal. Hmmm... curiouser and curiouser.

One big game developer has complained about the lesser abilities of the XBox 360... they talked about it in the DVD Software section.

Dan

6. Jennifer B

Jennifer B Extra

I second Dan. From what I've read, I also believe the Playstation 3 would be a better solution to use as HTPC.