What's new

Xbox 2 specs leaked & confirmed (sorta) (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Confirmed as in the original document was created by the Xbox team. The specs are still "up in the air."

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=231928

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55873

CPU- (3) 3.5+Ghz IBM procs

GPU- 500MHz ATi w/10mb buffer. Ability to read directly from the on-die cache from each of the CPU cores.

Ram- 256mb unified

FSB- bandwidth peak is 10.8 GB/sec for reads and 10.8 GB/sec for writes

Audio- key hardware component for audio—XMA decompression. XMA is the native Xenon compressed audio format, based on the WMA Pro architecture. XMA provides sound quality higher than ADPCM at even better compression ratios, typically 6:1–12:1. :confused:

Video- From an audio/video standpoint, Xenon will support all the same formats as Xbox, including multiple high-definition formats up through 1080i, plus VGA output.

Network- 100BaseT

Storage- At the time of this writing, the decision to include a built-in hard disk in every Xenon console has not been made. If a hard disk is not included in every console, it will certainly be available as an integrated add-on component. Looks like we'll be using flash drives that cost extra for the most part :

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Confirmed as in the original document was created by the Xbox team. The specs are still "up in the air."

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=231928

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55873

CPU- (3) 3.5+Ghz IBM procs

GPU- 500MHz ATi w/10mb buffer. Ability to read directly from the on-die cache from each of the CPU cores.

Ram- 256mb unified

FSB- bandwidth peak is 10.8 GB/sec for reads and 10.8 GB/sec for writes

Audio- key hardware component for audio—XMA decompression. XMA is the native Xenon compressed audio format, based on the WMA Pro architecture. XMA provides sound quality higher than ADPCM at even better compression ratios, typically 6:1–12:1. :confused:

Video- From an audio/video standpoint, Xenon will support all the same formats as Xbox, including multiple high-definition formats up through 1080i, plus VGA output.

Network- 100BaseT

Storage- At the time of this writing, the decision to include a built-in hard disk in every Xenon console has not been made. If a hard disk is not included in every console, it will certainly be available as an integrated add-on component. Looks like we'll be using flash drives that cost extra for the most part :

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
And still, the rumour of no built in HDD holds true. I don't see why they would choose not to include it. Sure, it'll cost more, but the convenience of it outweighs any other cons.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
well, the HD made xbox 1 a whole lot easier to modify. in other words you can copy your games to the HD. that could be the reason. not that i know how to do this or anything. :)

Johnny

Marc Bax

Second Unit
You guys hear about the rumored Ipod killer detachable HD for the Xbox 2? Word is Microsoft will release a portable HD that will double as a Mp3, WMA audio player and sell them at a loss ($99). Sounds like an excellent idea and would explain the lack of a built in HD. Lets all hope it pans out and is at least 20 gigs (hopefully 40 though). If so it's a brilliant move on Microsoft's part, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well I'm sure they will probably ditch the hard drive due to cost but it sucks. That was the main reason I got an Xbox. The games are great, but the fact that a quick mod got me an awesome music/movie/picture server connected to my home theater was the real deal-sealer. If they elect to not have a hard drive, I can't blame them, but I'll definantly end up with a PS3 instead.

Other than that though, the specs look pretty solid, maybe a little more RAM could be thrown in, but nice looking anyway if these are legit specs. I wouldn't hold my breath for a built-in/detachable Ipod style MP3 player though. Not as a standard piece of the system anyway.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

I don't quite understand this comment. Neither box is release yet, nor are any games officially announced, and yet we're discussing whether or not we'll buy X-Next based on its inclusion of a hard drive?

The purpose of the drive was to serve the games with some auxiliary functions to boot (ex. ripped music). This definitely added strength to the Xbox offering. Microsoft recognizes this, and the tentative specs I've seen indicate some sort of memory capability. Regardless, why don't we wait and see what the unit actually does and what games are available before passing judgement?

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

Because as I stated, the HD was the main reason i chose the Xbox this generation because it allowed for modability. I like the Xbox games alot but the PS2 always seems to have great games coming out and while the Xbox has better graphics and audio capability, the PS2 still has more games and more AAA games IMO. But again, the Xbox is still a great system for just gaming as well but unless they dump unholy amounts of $$ into developers pockets, there is no way that M$ will ever be able to have the same developer relationships Sony does.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The HD added modability to the system, and that is the main thing that ANY hardware manufacturer does not want to happen. I wouldnt be surprised if MS dropped the HD from this, but color me disappointed.

Either way, I will still get one of each new system.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Well I think that they are dropping the HD strictly due to cost. The PS1 & PS2 and the Dreamcast had no HD yet piracy was an issue so the HD isn't going to stop people from pirating games if they want to no matter how damn lame they are for doing it.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Piracy will always be around, but I think the issue with the HD was people making the machine into something it wasnt intended to do. While neat, I can see how a manufacturer wouldnt want that.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that was the only reason i bought an xbox. i dont own a single xbox game, nor do i have any desire to. i dont copy them either. if it werent for the moddability, i wouldnt have purchased an xbox. the xbox2 may be a pretty sweet machine, and it's not like i will need ANOTHER music server, so i'm excited to see what all 3 companies have in store for us. if sony comes out with another gran turismo game for ps3, i'll buy it just for that :)

CJ

Because as I stated, the HD was the main reason i chose the Xbox this generation because it allowed for modability. I like the Xbox games alot but the PS2 always seems to have great games coming out and while the Xbox has better graphics and audio capability, the PS2 still has more games and more AAA games IMO. But again, the Xbox is still a great system for just gaming as well but unless they dump unholy amounts of $$ into developers pockets, there is no way that M$ will ever be able to have the same developer relationships Sony does.

I totally disagree. Microsoft has positioned itself to have a much better relationship with a much wider range of developers than Sony has. This IMO is where sony is going to get eaten up in the next generation of consoles. There will be tons more games released for the x-box2 than there will be for the PS3. The way microsoft is standardizing game development tools is going to give them a huge advantage in the next generation of consoles.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

I read a bit about that in the mags. Pretty cool stuff. I believe that includes the potential for some crossover between PC games for online play.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The only thing that will hold me back from purchasing an XBOX2 is the lack of backward-compatibility. Thought it hasn't been officially poopooed, the change of graphics processor company and lack of a hard drive for the XBOX games that require it (although I'm not sure exactly how many do)make it extremely problematic at best. I can't see plopping down another $300 unless the damned thing will do my laundry as well as play games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks