Xbox 2 rumor news

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Scott L, Apr 27, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

2. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

I like how it says 'Hard disc built in not decided'.
    I wonder if this is the real deal.

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I read in XBox Mag the rumor MS would be doing away with the hard drive and going to online storage. This seems to be somewhat supported by the XBox Live update, which features "Title-Managed Online Storage" for games capable of doing so (none presently). Not sure what that would mean for buyers of XBox2 who get the games that don't have that capability. Back to memory cards? Personally I think the hard drive is a good thing - at least some kind of integrated storage, be it flash or just a 4gb IDE.

4. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i hope this doesnt happen, i have no intention of hooking up a game console for online anything, so limiting the xbox2 to online storage would limit me from purchasing it.

CJ

6. I agree, I really hope they put a HD in this. If they don't... well thats lame IMO. Just MS squeezing more $$$ out of people

7. Chris Bozeman

Chris Bozeman Auditioning

Actually Andrew, a hard drive (as in standard 3.5" drives) contributes to the cost of the console as well as generate heat in the console, which requires some form of cooling, be it passive (heatsinks, copper piping, or just grilles to allow hot air to escape the machine) or active cooling (fans, etc.).

The XBOX costs Microsoft roughly $40 dollars (give a take a few bucks) to build, whereas the PS2 and the Gamecube cost about (or even less) than half that for Sony and Nintendo (respectively) to build.

You absolutely must keep in mind... more than anything else... when you purchase any type of electronic hardware - REGARDLESS - of what it is, you are paying for the research and development (mostly, there are perphiral costs, such as marketing, etc.) that was required to develop said hardware / electronic, not to mention the research and development of the hardware / electronics to eventually replace that piece of machinery.

That said. I would very much like to see a hard drive in the XBox2, and frankly I think any console made from this year forward should have a hard drive - even portables like the PSP and the Nintendo DS. Now that IBM's Microdrive technology has FINALLY caught on and is being implemented into the mainstream, I don't doubt the next generation of handheld gaming machines will contain microdrives of some sort.

8. I just don't like the fact that they would go away from a HD, looking like moving to force people into xbox live and online storage.

9. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

I'd hate to lose the HD in the next Xbox but I'd be surprised if it ends up with one I think the deciding factor will be if the PS3 has one included.
    That being said; any chance of them selling an external HD like the PS2 has? I would rather buy that than multiple memory cards. And I would really miss having custom sountracks, not to mention the fact that I use my Xbox quite a bit as a jukebox since I've got hundres of songs burnt on the HD.

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Personally I'm not a fan of the idea of removing the HD considering how many ways it could be used. What I've read as a storage alternative is compact flash type memory. Will have to wait and see how the final configuration actually works before passing judgement, though.

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I've given up on burning any large collection of CDs to my XBox, though I definitely like playing PGR to my own music. Has anyone put enough stuff on their box to actually see the storage capacity go down from 50,000 blocks or whatever it is? I guess I'm thinking for my own needs a HD as large as 8GBs has shown to be excessive.

12. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

I've got about 30 full CD's of music and about 70 saved games, (each with multiple saves) and I'm still at 50,000 free blocks. So yeah, you're right, that probably was overkill on MicroSoft's part.

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I hate how it costs $35 for a 1st party 8meg storage card.

14. Sean*O

Sean*O Second Unit

*D'oh!*

15. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

I think MS should deffinetely put an HD in Xbox 2. I would also like to see MS use the same cables used for the current Xbox. That way no one has to buy new cables kind of like the Game Cube used the same connection cables. Of course they will probably go DVI or something.

Brion