What's new

xbo (1 Viewer)

Rolf

Auditioning
I am new to this home theater thing, but an excited about approaching it. i just bought a 54" rca rear projection HDTV. I do not have satelite or any high def programming. I wanted to use it more for movies.

Currently I own an Apex dvd player and an xbox.

I have been reading reviews and such about the Onkyo HT-S760. I really like this "combo" Only thing that I can read that suggests that they are bad is the size of them, which I can handle.

My question is will my xbox work as my dvd player? Will it satisfy all the surround sound requirements? My current dvd player does not support component, so it is going into my bedroom. But I want to know if I should spend the extra money for a stand alone dvd player. At circuit city they had an onkyo dvd player for sale for $199 that was right next to the home theater set.

Thanks for the help,
Rolf

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Rolf, I don't think you'll be happy with using the X-BOX for your DVD player. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
If you bought an HDTV ~ you should get a dvd player capable of progressive scan (something the xbox is not capable of). The Xbox does have component out, but this is only for the high def. games available. So, you can use your XBOX for playing high def video games, but to get the best quality out of your movies (like you say you wanna use this set up for), I suggest getting a stand alone dvd player that will output a progressive signal.

mike

(btw, if you're into video games, the new slim ps2 is a progressive scan dvd player...plus you can play ps2 games...just a thought...)

Rolf

Auditioning
now that I you guys mention it and I have thought about it for a while. You guys are right, I dont want to use my xbox as my main dvd player. I am a fan of Apex and have looked at AD-1165. It supports the progressive scan and component outputs.

Its also better on the pocket book than the 6-disc onkyo that the guy at cicuit city tried to sell me.

You guys think I'll have any problems with that dvd player? I tried to post a link, but I guess since I'm new around here I'll have to wait on that.

Thanks,
ROLF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks