XBL: Reviving the art of... discussion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Beveridge, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

For those of you on Live, how've your experiences been in terms of actual conversation via the communicator during games? I'll assume that those playing the NFL games are engaged in more dialogue since you're playing longer single games, but for those in ReVolt (where I primarily play lately), how is it there?

I've actually had quite a few good chats with people during the games. A lot of people seem to be quiet, and I was myself for the first few days. Then as things started to roll, and going through various attacks and passing people, more and more comments would flow (light/humorous). I've had a number of good groups so far where everyone is laughing and joking about their gameplay and so forth.

This aspect has really gone over well for me, with only a few "problem" players. Basically end up ignoring anyone on the child/tinny voice and only had one whacked out person who just went on and on talking about buying dope. But out of a hundred plus games with an average of six people per game, that's it.

2. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

David Broome and I were playing Fever last night - his Titans vs. my Packers. I received two delay of game penalties because I started talking about home theater!
    [​IMG]
    All of my conversations with HTF beta testers have been fabulous; *IMO* it is more of a 50-50 split when you are connecting with a random gamer. Some people are only out there to blitz on every down and win 100 - 0.
    Bryan
    Gamertag: PPH2

3. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Man I can't wait for my signup kit to arrive. Should be in today or tomorrow ([​IMG]), but then the servers are down until Saturday ([​IMG]). Looking forward to talking to some HTF'ers that I've been trading posts with for the past few years!

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I had some pretty good experiences with Fever. The guys I played (just used quick match) were pretty cool. They seemed nice enough. It's the fist time I have heard a real southern drawl in years (Playing a match against some guys from georgia.) [​IMG]

5. David Broome

David Broome Stunt Coordinator

I'll have to admit I used that tactic on purpose, Bryan_ZZ [​IMG] And I want a rematch, now that the servers are back up :)
    I have had great experiences for the most part as well. I played a guy last night who had JUST gotten his kit (quick match). He seemed quiet at first, but once I started running my mouth, he picked up and we had a great time. Of course he won in the last minute or two fo the quarter, but I'm getting used to that.
    I am really surprised at how easy it is with most people to just talk about random stuff, and at the voice quality involved. If I can get my mother-in-law an xbox and a high speed connection (and my wife to pick up an XBox controller), my phone bill will go down more than the cost of the yearly fee!

6. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

Question -- does the communicator have to be connected in order for the service to work, or can a person play online without it? I'm also curious as to how the muting functions work.

7. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Adam,
    Not sure about it having to be connected, because I have used it every time. You can play without wearing it if you want to...
    The headset plugs into a card that plugs into the controller. There is a mute button on the card - the green light turns red when you hit the mute button. It works! [​IMG]
    Bryan
    Gamertag: PPH2

8. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

is the communicator Full Duplex, or is it walkie-talkie style similar to SOCOM. Do you need to hit a "talk" button like in socom also, or is the mic always open etc?

just curious, thanks!

9. Tom Fudold

Tom Fudold Stunt Coordinator

Hey Jason,

The Mic is always on, and full duplex, you'll find yourself talking over other people at times. It takes some getting used to. We used Roger Wilco all the time when we played Q3 and Unreal, so I'm used to that style of talking.

It's always on, no button needs to be pressed, of course, that could always be something a game will determine. I'm sure in Ghost Recon, only your team will hear you, and perhaps that will be like SOCOM where you initiate with a button press... I assume it's up to the developer.

Tom

10. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

I thought I read that assigning team specific channels was not an option in Unreal Championship or any other Live game -- can't remember where I saw that, though.

11. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

not being able to assign team specific channels (or not having speech team specific by default) in teams games is about as stupid as not have any form of communication what soever in a team based game (ahem, Tribes AA, etc)

I really, truly, hope that developers realize the importance of communication, especially in team based games, and setup means to support team specific communication etc.

but, I am glad to hear that the voice comm is always open, and Full Duplex. It can be very very frustrating trying to say something in SOCOM only to have to wait for 2 people to stop having a conversation (like, they are talking about madden, and your trying like hell to alert that our base is under attack or something!)