Xantech IR Owners: Is there a way to run a 25ft. blink IR emitter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Swartz, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Daniel Swartz

Daniel Swartz Second Unit

http://store1.yimg.com/I/asihome_1671_3682982
    I'm trying to run an IR repeater system from one room to the other and need to find (preferably pre-fabricated since I'm not very DIY inclined) a 25 foot Blink-IR Mouse Emitter ro run from the 789-44 Connecting Block to my ReplayTV in the other room. I've only been able to find ~6' 283M Blink IR Emitters though. Does a 25' version exist? Thanks guys!
    Dan

2. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Not that I'm aware of, just cut the IR repeater/emitter wire (the thicker portion, not the thin part near the flasher/emitter) and give yourself 1 foot on either side in case you are all thumbs and splice in cat5 or regular phone wire. Just make sure you are consistent polarity-wise on either end of the splice. Cat5 or regular phone wire will have 6 or 8 wires in there you should only need 2 of them, forget the rest. You can get Cat5 or phone cable in bulk for real cheap at Home Depot or Lowe's depending where you live. Works great.

Use a good quality pair of wire strippers and then splice/twist together and then wrap each of the wires with electrical tape tightly.

I have done this in my theater and it works fine.

You can do it Luke, just use the force and take your time and think it through.

3. Daniel Swartz

Thanks for the instructions Brett. Just to confirm, I need to cut clean through one of the 283M Blink-IR Mouse Emitters closer to the plug than to the actual emitter itself, right? Then I need to strip the two wires closest to the plug (will there only be two wires?) and splice in ANY two wires from a CAT5 or telephone cable? Please correct me if I'm wrong about the "any" part and actually need to splice in two specific CAT5 or telephone cable wires.

You also mentioned polarity. How do I make sure I'm consistent polarity-wise?

Thanks again!

4. Brett Loomis

Brett Loomis Stunt Coordinator

Dan, use any two wires in the bundle of 5,6 or 8 that come with Cat5 (I forgot how many are in there but it doesn't matter in your case because you are only using two of them.

They (Cat5) are all marked a different color so make sure before you cut the emitter wire that you have some way of identifying/tracking the two cut ends. They should be different color once you cut them, if not a red marker before on one side of the sheath on either side of your cut point will keep it straight. Then just splice any two colors from the Cat5 together and keep them in line don't cross tracks. No voltmeter required, just pay close attention.

Plug end---------------XXX Feet splice---Emitter/flasher
    Black emitter wire-------Cat5(blue)------Black emitter wire
    White emitter wire-------Cat5(white)-----White emitter wire

If emitter wires aren't color coded than your marker ID on one side before cutting will tell you what you need to do. Be sure and wrap any spliced wires tight/well with black electrical tape before powering up.

Is this clear???

5. Daniel Swartz

I gotcha Brett. It makes sense and sounds like something even I can do! Thanks!