1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

XA777ES Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Loiterman, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

Due to some problems with my 555es and my itch to have the "best" I've decided to purchase the 777es, but I have one question...

Does the main setup give you the ability to switch the CD player to accept CD 1 or CD 2 remote codes as the 555es and 775 do?

2. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

No.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, that's surprising to me. Every other Sony CD and SACD player I have come across, including my SCD-777ES, allow you to select CD1 or CD2, and many even have CD3 as an option. Interesting.

4. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Mike,
    I own a xa777es and have no idea what you are asking. But, it is a great sounding tank of a cd/sacd player. And I am enjoying the heck out of it.[​IMG]

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe Cole, many Sony CD and SACD players allow you set the remote code in the event that you have other Sony players in your system. So, if you had a Sony CD megachanger along with your 'XA777ES, you could assign them separate remote codes (CD1 and CD2, for example) so that you could control them separately.

6. Joe Casey

Keith,

You are correct with newer players, but the XA777 doesn't have this.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe Casey, O.K. Thanks for the info. I wonder if that means the 'XA777ES uses its own remote code, meaning one that is different from Sony's CD1, CD2, and CD3. That would be nice for people that have other Sony players in their system. With other players in my system, I am already using CD1, CD2, and CD3.

8. Joe Casey

Keith,

Not sure about its own code. Maybe later on today I'll try it's remote out with my other Sony CDP. I will say this about the XA777's remote tho: it's a POS! (RM-SX700)

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, do let us know what you find out when you try the 'XA777ES with the other player. I'm very curious. What other player do you have? Is it an older model?

10. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Owning the XA777ES and other SACD players from SONY - I can tell you that the XA777ES is set to run when your remote is set to CD1.

And as mentioned, you cannot change this setting with the XA777ES - therefore you are "forced" to set any other SONY CD/SACD player in your system to CD2.

I have both the XA777ES and the C333ES in my system, and I had to set the 333ES to CD2 to prevent the XA777ES remote from operating the 333ES at the same time.

11. Mike Loiterman

That really sucked...

I just reprogramed my Pronto. I switched all the CD remote codes around...but I'm finally ready for my XA777ES on Tuesday.

Any other problems I should be aware of?

12. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Mike,
    There is one major problem with the xa777es that you should be aware of. Once you have this thing hooked up and have listened to SACDs you will never be the same.[​IMG] CDs sound very good on this unit but SACDs are the BOMB. [​IMG]
    I am locking up my CCs so I won't spend too much on new disks.
    Happy listening!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Mike Loiterman

Tell me about it...
    The whole thing started with the 775 for $180 bucks. Two weeks later I have an $1800 player on order.
    This is some kind of sickness. [​IMG]
    But I am looking forward to my 777es!

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I didn't go quite as far as you, but I can relate. You may have read about my bout with static with the Mary Chapin Carpenter SACD on the SCD-C333ES in my second system (known problem with the 'C333ES). Since the 'C333ES is a quality player and I had only observed static once in a year, I figured I would get the 'CE775 for $200 for potentially troublesome SACDs. Two weeks after I bought it, the price dropped on the 'C222ES and 'C555ES, and I exchanged the 'CE775 for the 'C222ES ($380). The 'C222ES was definitely better than the 'C222ES, but within a week, the carousel drawer on the 'C222ES started acting funny, so I exchanged it for the 'C555ES, which I feel is the best of the multi-channel changers. Whew!

By the way, where did you get the 'XA777ES for $1800? The best price I have heard from an authorized dealer is $2000 (Oade Bros.).

15. Mike Loiterman

Actually I got it for $1750 from J&R...thanks to your (KeithH's) tip about J&R!

It should be here tomorrow AM. I will post comments if I can lift the thing up into my rack!

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Wow, Mike! You did very well through J&R. Is that the price they quoted you right away or did you have to haggle?

17. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

$1750 before shipping costs, right? See Keith, it is happening already. $200 bucks, that's 10 non hybrid sacds.[​IMG]
    Mike, bend those knees and keep your back straight. This beast is a, well, beast. A sweet sounding one.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe said:

19. Mike Loiterman

I finally hoisted the beast into place and it sounds great. I've only had it a few hours, but here is a quick review.
    Things I'm not so happy about:

You must use the respective output for the type of disc you're listening to. For eample, on 2 channel discs only the stereo outputs are active. Accordingly, on multichannel discs, sound is only output through the 5.1 outputs. I guess this is how it should be, but I wish I had the option of setting it up that way or to configure the player to act as the 555es or the 775 does; both are active all the time.
    It won't be a problem when I get my new pre-amp, but it is sort of a problem now since I had to unhook my minidisc input to use its stereo inputs. Although I hardly ever listen to my mindisc mixes anymore, and I can still record to minidisc, I would have preferred to keep things as they were.
    I complained about this earlier. There is no ability to set this player as CD 2 or CD 3. While also not a major problem, this was an annoying "feature" since I had to reprogram my Pronto remote to work within these limitations.
    This doesn't really apply to me, but I feel a bit cheated by the crappy remote. This is a (retail) $3,000 player! The remote is the same one they supply with their $150 5 disc changers. I would like to think that the extra money went into the design, construction, materials, and engneering of the player, but I suspect I'm fooling myself. As I said, I'm not using the remote, but I would have liked to have seen a little bit of a more beefy controler, considering the price.[/list]
    Things I am happy about:

Unbelievable girth, weight and rigidty! I thought the UPS guy was going to kill me when I asked hom to bring it around from the side entrance! This thing is definitley built like a tank!
    Removable power cord...very nice. Will have to upgrade that soon.
    Sliky smooth operation of all parts. Drawer opening and closing is silent. Even when playing it is virtually silent compared to all my other changers and especially my noisy 555es. No thumping/woodpeckering...even on my Dylan Blonde on Blonde disc which was noisey as hell on the 555es.
    Came with a nice sampler disc.
    Filtering option for redbook cds...I have yet to try this out.[/list]
    Quick Sound Comments:

Stunning detail and accuracy. I can actually place the kettle drums, pianist, and violins in my Mozart disc. My 555es was muddy in comparison.
    Impresive dynamics and amazing power.
    Can feel the air around the music much more accurately. [/list]
    I'm sure there is much, much more, but I'll have to let the player break in a bit before I do any crtical listening. I also have not tried any redbook cds as of yet either.
    Will Post more ASAP!

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, the negatives are obviously minor in comparison to the positives with your 'XA777ES. I'm sure you would agree. I have heard mixed reports with respect to playing CDs and stereo SACDs on the 'XA777ES. Some have said that you must use the stereo analog outputs. Others have said that you can use the front left and right jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs to play stereo discs, but you have to use the stereo analog outputs to take advantage of the parallel DAC configuration. It seems from your observations that the latter explanation is incorrect. Interesting.

Regarding the pecking sound we have observed with the 'C555ES, my '777ES has never exhibited it. Of course, the transports are very different in the two players. Ditto for the 'C555ES vs. 'XA777ES.

If you do upgrade the power cord, let me know what you get. I am thinking of upgrading the power cord on my '777ES.