What's new

X3: X-Men The Last Stand DVD review (1 Viewer)

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I just spoke with FOX and they said it looks like they are going to send replacement discs for the Wal-Mart bonus discs.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator

Grant, when you talk about the "Circuit City flyer," are you talking about their weekly multipage circular [the one that's distributed in the Sunday newspaper, for instance] or are you talking about some sort of one-sheet hand-out at the store itself? Just curious. I noticed you're in Virgina---different parts of the country get different versions of the circular, so even if we're talking about the same thing [the circular], the text might be different because I'm in Texas.

Also, for what it's worth, my issue with this release isn't the fact that some versions of the US disc have more deleted scenes than others. Obviously, I want the version with 20+ deleted scenes, but the bigger issue is Fox double-dipping on this and other releases when the second disc bonus material is clearly finished and ready to go because it's already appeared in other zones.

I mean, Fox messed up badly with the deleted scenes issue, but this issue revealed a different one for me. I was actually prepared to buy the single disc version and forget about the eventual 2-disc double-dip one. But when I realized that there are more deleted scenes out there [I assume the UK, etc. 2-disc versions have the 20+ deleted scenes and NOT the 13 that the US single-disc version has?], I held back. I'd buy the single-disc version today if I *KNEW* I could get the version with the extra deleted scenes, but since there's no guarantee, I'm not willing to take the gamble. I'll wait...

...on the other hand, it sounds like most people who bought the single-disc at Circuit City and Target got lucky. Wish I had some evidence of the 20+ version here in Houston...anyone?

Regards,
matt

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Matt, it's the weekly circular I'm talking about. P. 21 of mine:
http://circuitcity.shoplocal.com/cir...&pagenumber=12

You can enter in your particular area at the website when you click on weekly ad.

But mine clearly reads "includes 3 alternate endings & 21 deleted scenes."

EDIT: I just checked a store ad for Houston and it said exactly the same thing as mine.

So to paraphrase Arnold in that great movie, Total Recall, "Get your ass to Circuit City."

I didn't check out Target. I just went to CC because the Roundup showed the cheapest price. CC's been doing a good job of that lately.

EDIT: Just checked my local Target circular online, and it just says it has 3 alternate endings. And mentions the cards and collectible tin. No mention of the deleted scenes at all.

I can see people being upset about the double-dip on the 2-disc set thing, but this has been Fox's MO in R1 for a few years now, ever since the I, Robot and Day After Tomorrow days. There was a time you could get the 2-disc sets at this price, but I guess you can blame it on inflation...or Warner Bros for introducing their pricey 2-disc sets simultaneously with the 1-disc sets, or Sony for that matter. Of course there you have the option upfront at least. I don't care that much for the documentaries, so I don't get too upset, especially when the pattern has been including the deleted scenes on disc 1 and proviting it as the same disc in the 2 disc set later.

I did spring for the pricier Batman Begins though. But it seems to me I got it online on sale for the same price or a buck less than the 1-disc was going for with no sale price.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I don't understand what any of you are talking about...! My disc (region 1) has an option when you put the dvd in: There is a Magneto icon and an Xavier icon. The choices say something like "Join the Brotherhood," and "Take the Stand." If you click on the Brotherhood, the disc starts, and you can go into the features and look for the deleted scenes. You will find all the deleted scenes having to do with the Brotherhood. If you start the disc and click on Xavier, you get all the X-Men deleted scenes. They all add up to the full 21 deleted scenes. Does anyone else have a disc like this?? Is my disc a region 2 mutant??

gushin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gustavo Hinojosa
I finally got around to checking my disc, and it has all the deleted scenes. Fiddling around though, it looks like when you choose your menu layout some of the menu selections get moved around. I didn't mess too much with it, and didn't catch most of this thread until today, but could it be that some of the deleted scenes just don't show up in one of the themed menus? Maybe the Brotherhood menu only allows some extras, while the X menu allows others. I'll check this out with more scrutiny when I get home after work and see what the changes in the layout are.

Ethan beat me to the table.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
All mine showed up under the X menu.

I believe I checked and they were all there under both, but I'll have to double-check the Brotherhood menu to be sure.

I certainly didn't have to go through both themes to access them all though. I just kept paging through with the "more" button.

Interesting idea. Perhaps they are presented in different orders under the different themes, but is seemed to be in perfect chronological order when I went through them all last night. Too bad I can't check mine until late tonight.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the same things appears in both evil and good versions of the dvd.
and all the dvds have the evil or good choice

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I compared my copy of X3 to my friend's copy again. The same selection of deleted scenes appeared whether I was looking at the X-Menus or the Brotherhood Menus.

One DVD has 13 deleted scenes (including the alternate endings), whether you are looking at the X-Menu or the Brotherhood menu.

The other has 24 deleted scenes (including the alternate endings). Again, the same selection of deleted scenes is on the X-Menu and the Brotherhood menu.

Incidentally, the bar code is the same on both: 0 24543 37392 6. So, it looks like there is no way to tell which is which, until you pop in the DVD.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Just out of curiousity, is this one of those "Ed Wood" deals where the menu has been changed to delete a feature, but the content is still there? Has anyone compared the size of the VIDEO_TS folders on the two discs?

MarkBurton

Second Unit
Joe,
Try typing in the links inbetween
with no spaces.

For example "
10052006005.jpg
"

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator

I wish I knew! I thought at first that they had indeed released a 2-disc in R1 and I was missing one. But most likely there was an overstock of the 2-disc shells, and they thought "ehh, what the hell....".

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Well I got the 24 deleted scene version... around here it seems much more common than the version with 13. Odd. As for the 2 discer, I've been horribly disappointed by the last several 2 disc sets I had to spring for (V for Vendetta, Batman Begins, Harry Potter 4, among others)... I really don't care about special effects features. I've seen it all, no one ever talks about the frigging movie except (occasionally) on commentaries.

Anyway, the only way I'll buy another version is if they re-edit it into a longer film that works.

ToddJ

Second Unit
Thanks for the pics!! is it the same height as a standard DVD case? is it worth getting (i don't live in Canada, so I would have to buy it on ebay.)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I bought it this morning and got the lesser number of deleted scenes which for me is no biggy since I don't watch many extras these days.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
The bits has a blurb about it (nothing new), but they say 22 vs. 10, when I'm pretty sure we all concur it's 21.

At least they'll be checking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks