What's new

X3: Our First HD Double-Dip? (1 Viewer)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Just as I was starting to think about ordering the Region 3 two disc set for my HTPC, Fox confirms X3 for Blu-Ray on the 14th (and no, I don't have a Blu player, but it's pretty inevitable I'll be snagging a PS3 once they can actually be found on store shelves). The A/V specs look fantastic, however the extras are cause for alarm....they're the exact same extras as the recent Region 1 release.

Normally this would be fine, but when you see that Fox has released a 2 disc set chock full of extras in many regions other than our own, and that if they follow their previous pattern that same set will be released here within 6-12 months, then you see we have the makings of our first double-dip in either format.

Having already jumped into HD-DVD, and hopefully early next year snagging a PS3, I'm incredibly hesitant to buy any big studio title in standard def, no matter what studio it is. We're now such a small part of the standard def consumer base that we can't do anything about Fox pulling this delayed double-dip stuff for standard def discs, but I think we represent a good chunk
of the consumer base for Blu and HD-DVD, and my feeling is with BD-50 at their disposal they have no excuse not to use it for X3 and give us every supplement they have produced, which is much more than what they plan on giving us in this $39.99 release.

What say you?

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
Get the region 3 two disc. The 2nd disc is about 7.8GB (more than feature itself) and the content is superb (widescreen documentaries). Until now I still can't finish it.

Then get the Blu-Ray version if you like, and you will have EVERYTHING and no need for double dip. I don't really care about the extras in HD.

It's a shame that Fox doesn't release these nice and ready extras in the first place for US.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I am so happy X3 has been confirmed for the 14th now. For a while there, I thought Fox would be stupid enough to delay it until next year, and the SD version was looking more and more attractive. Patience pays off.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And that in an article about "How the PS3 Stole the Consumer" (for BD), titled "Fox Puts Rush on 'X-men For PS3 Blu-ray". :rolleyes:

The PS3 won't play it.
We need a budget player that will.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

No it won't play the HD Lossless Master Audio.
(Of course there will be an appropriate sound alright.....)

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

hmm I am sure I read it somewhere :frowning: but I don't know where, that it should be able to play DTS core from HD loosless master audio...

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

The "DTS-core" is the old compressed lossy DTS track.
Added to that is the lossless info (and we're still arguing somewhere else about what that is precisely: the whole new lossless info, or the "missing" complementary info).

Cees

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Cees the PS3 is updateable the same way the HD-A1 is.

DTS-MA and DVD upconversion are being added later. You can bet on it. It has the horsepower to natively decode SACD and Dolby TrueHD at full resolution.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Pure speculation. With Sony's track record I certainly wouldn't count on it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

You have a link top this announcement? I would be nice if they did, but I do not believe that anyone at Sony has committed to this.

While DTS-MA seems likely, SD upconversion does not.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

I was informed that BD players are able to PLAY DTS CORE from DTS HD MASTER track......

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

Yes, but just the lossy part of the two "files" I mentioned above.

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Yes I know that, but from your first post I've git feeling like it will not be able to play any sound at all :)

Marek

P.S. another package arrived ;) YEAH and too much work :) but I have to check them at least for few minutes hehehe

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
No sound, but it will have closed captioning. Hate those cost cutting methods.:laugh:

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Wait, so the PS3 won't even play lossless DTS-MA tracks through HDMI?
I always assumed the PS3 did DTS-MA as well as TrueHD. That sours my
desire for a PS3 as a Blu-Ray player....though I still want it for gaming.

I'm doubtul Sony would upgrade the PS3 to handle these tracks, though I'm betting they will eventually upgrade to SD-DVD upscaling. I'm assuming there would be cost involved with making the PS3 DTS-MA compliant, and with Sony selling these systems at a loss already......if there was a DTS-MA logo on the PS3 next to all the other logos that line the side of the machine, I'd feel differently, but i don't see it happening.

While I am an HD-DVD owner, I am still genuinely excited about Blu-Ray and it's capabilities, but some of this stuff frustrates me......we have a flagship movie I would love to own in high def missing a ton of extras that are available everywhere else in the world, a lossless audio track, but one that won't play in the player that is th emost attractive option to myself and most of North America, and a $40 price tag to boot.

Rolando

Screenwriter
well unless I got it all wrong here is my take.

Even though PS3 might not be able to decode DTS-MA, there is no reason why it could not send the signal raw through it's HDMI 1.3 to a receiver that can decode it. Now there currently aren't any such receivers but they are coming.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Yes, but those recievers don't look like they will be here until late 2nd or early 3rd quarters of 2007. Come to think of it, that would be about the time you could actually go into a store and buy a PS3.:D

It is probably about the time that lower priced HD and BD stand alone units will be released.

Rolando

Screenwriter
so the short version is wait to get it all and get better stuff cheaper next year right ppltd? :)

Just be patient and wait...

Leave the PS3s in store for me... I mean others to find ...

How do I add a blushing smiley?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks