What's new

X2 (2003) (1 Viewer)

Kristoffer

Second Unit
Lets hope we see Beast in X3, he is one of my favorites!
Also storm actually flies in the first film; When toad pushes her down the elevator shaft. moments later she flies up_

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
my friend and I got our tickets for the midnight screening of X2.

JACOB

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This comes out friday right? not Wednesday?

Just saw Hugh Jackman on Leno. He had long hair, wonder if that's for the Van Helsing?

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Steve -

You are correct. He's getting ready for Van Helsing coming out next summer. NBC showed him briefly at the Lakers vs Wolves playoff game over th weekend. I didn't recognize him at all.

-Bruce

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I really hope this is a lot better than the first X-Men, which looked like the negatives were thrown in a blender on the shred setting.

They almost need to have some character introductions again because they sure didn't do much the first time around!

And what's with Fox not allowing the director to film director's cut footage for the first film (even he thought it needed work)?? They should make plenty of bank notes for the new DVD as well as X-Men 2 in order to fund the extra shooting (that now is DOA).

Dan

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The usual arc of anticipated movie threads:
Before it opens:
"So-and-so website called it the best ******(any genre) movie ever."
"I'm going to take the day off and call in sick"
"I can't wait"
etc.

After seein the movie:
"Ugh, can't believe it, so disappointed"
"I'm so disappointed that such and such character was doing such and such."
"I'm never going to trust AICN again."
etc.

People who are frothing anticipating for this(or any other) movie are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Chud.com is calling it the best superhero movie ever - 9.1/10.
Yeah, but that guy thinks Beautiful Girls is a great movie and I can't stand that one (although Natalie Portman gave a good performance) :) One of the other guys there, Dan Whitehead, seems to have pretty solid taste, though, so if he does a review it might mean something to me. As it is, none of the people raving about the movie so far are guys that I look to for reviews so I'm still going into the movie with only my own expectations, which are that it'll be good and likely better than the original but I'll probably still have some reservations :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Superman is probably the best comic book adaptation to date (followed closely by Dick Donnor's original Superman 2) because it has such an epic quality to it. Unbreakable was probably one of the best non-comic book super hero flicks to date.

The movie is long enough for you to see Superman's inner termoil as a young man with powers that isolate him from the rest of society and the burning memory that with all his strength and abilities he could not save his own father (part of the reason IMHO he became so unglued when he found Loise dead).

Sure, it was a bit campy, but it was done in good spirit (the original classic DC comics were high camp too) that lent it some charm, with tremendous acting ability displayed by Chris Reeves, Gene Hackman (as a sinister yet hilarious Lex Luthor), Margot Kidder (she wasn't the prettiest woman up for the role, but if you've seen the screen tests on the DVD she was the best one for the role), even Marlon Brando, etc. And a pretty solid script by The Godfather's Mario Puzo and team.

Nowadays it's all choppy editing, flash, and neato SFX with little or no human underpinning.

Dan

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I agree...Superman is still the best...I've been watching it my whole life...and I've probably seen it 500 times...and I love every showing...The Crow and DareDevil come close to Superman...but the rest are far behind...but X2 and Hulk...both of those look just amazing...gonna be a great year for comic films...

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Heard a review this morning that said the first movie can not even be compared to the second. They said it was great.

I loved the first one, I don't see how I wouldn't like the second after seeing the trailer.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i think it's funny that Knowles, in his review of X2 started to almost trash the first one.
he wrote something to the effect of ..."the first on was ok, but the score sucked, it had no action, etc, etc."
he almost goes so far as to compare it to the first Star Trek?!
yet i've been going back and reading his reviews 3 years ago, and back then he was very defensive when others would broach these complaints.
and he went to great pains to shoot all this nit-picking down w/ examples of why X-men was superior to so much that has come before it.

i'm with Steve.
I LOVE the first one. it may not be the ultimate super-hero/comic book movie, but its a damn niffty little sci-fi tale, with characters i love. that's good enough for me.
i'm looking forward to seeing more action, but if they have to err, i don't mind them erring on the side of character over spectacle. i'm so tired of soulless demo material.
when i go to demo some scenes from the first movie, i usually end up watching quite a bit of it because i enjoy spending time with these characters.
the first x-men is a textbook example of concision and structure.
i'm sure i'll enjoy X2, but that is in no way going to change what i love and respect of the first movie.

i really concerned that if this film is a big success, in the future we'll get all action at the expense of the little, true character moments that make the action actually mean something.

MatS

Screenwriter
well said Paul_Scott

*note: as soon as you start to see X-Men movies with alternabackpackmallratraprock ala Spiderman, Daredevil etc. instead of score music, you know your worst fears have come true

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks