X10 Wiring

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Nguyen, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Mark Nguyen

Mark Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Any special wiring needed for X10 devices or can you just use the standard house wiring? I've heard someone saying something about a Neutral line...do they just mean the ground?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Mark Nguyen

Mark Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I know that there's got to be someone here with knowledge of X10. [​IMG]

3. Thomas J. Coyle III

Thomas J. Coyle III Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mark
    I have X10 modules all over my house. The cheap X10 wall switch modules from the X10 website just use two wires, hot (usually black) and the connection (usually red or blue) to the light fixture. The X10 module powers itself by allowing a little current to flow from the hot wire through itself and up to the lamp in the light fixture. The current is so low you can't see the filament glow. Now there are X10 modules that have three wires. These are usually the more expensive Leviton modules and wall switches that are two or three way. The third wire is the neutral(usually white)and allows the module to power itself without having to send current through the lamp in the light fixture. Many wall switch boxes do not have a neutral wire available so if you are going to buy the Leviton modules, check the wall box to see if there is a neutral wire available. If not, you are going to have to use the cheap X10 modules from X10.
    Regards,
    TCIII