X10 Information and Canadian dealer

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David Laplante, Mar 9, 2005.

1. David Laplante

I am interested in using some X10 controllers for controlling the lights in my HT.

After spending several hours looking for information (not much info out there on the net), I finally understand the basics of it and figure it would be ok to use. However, I did not find any canadian resellers of X10 products.

Is it beacause of some kind of restriction on these products in canada?

Anybody knows of a canadian dealer for these? Preferably in the Montreal, Quebec area...

Thanks

Dave

2. David Laplante

I Finally found a canadian reseller for X10 products (aartech.ca) (sorry still cannot post links)

I would have prefered to have a local dealer where I could have gone and see the products and ask questions and be able to return the devices easily if I buy the wrong device but I guess this will have to do.

Before buying, though, I would like to check with people that have done this before to see if I am looking at the correct devices.

My Situation: I would like to control a set of 3 halogen lights (controled by only one switch) with my Radio Shack Kameleon 8 in 1 remote.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the Radio Shack Kameleon 8 in 1 reomte capable of controling an X10 device (through an upgrade maybe?) Here is the url for the remote: radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F007%5F000%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D2138

2. From what I have read, you need an appliance module to control halogen lights. Will this do? (aartech.ca/product_info.php/cPath/32_29/products_id/160/canada/AM466.html)

3. To control the X10 device from my remote (if feasible), I will need a "X10 Plug In Controller with IR Receiver" such as this one: aartech.ca/product_info.php/cPath/46/products_id/136/canada/IR543.html

I am not very good in electricity and so I prefer to buy the plug-in modules (at least for now)

Are those the correct devices to buy for my situation? and is the Radio Shack Kameleon 8 in 1 remote capable of sending X10 commands ?

Thanks for your help !

Dave

3. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

Well, I can't speak for Canada, or the Kameleon remote. But as to where to find X10 components, you may want to just double check at a Home Depot, I would guess they have them in Canada. I know our local Home Depot has X10 stuff.

Good luck to you.

4. David Laplante

Hi Paul,

I can't find anything on X10 devices on the Homedepot.ca site. But then again I can't find them either on the US site. There is a Homedepot near my house, I'll go take a look tonight.

Thanks for the info!

5. GuyMaren

GuyMaren Agent

Radio Shack also sells a limited line of X10 devices. And there is always www.x10.ca