X10 Control of Toshiba TVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

This has been asked before but I can't recall a definitive answer. Given the lack of discrete power codes for Toshiba TVs would X10 (using an appliance module) present a safe alternative? Would cycling the power at the outlet cause problems for the TV's power supply in the near or long term?
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

2. Endaf Jones

Endaf Jones Auditioning

I wouldn't. My TW40X81 loses its screen mode (defaults to 4x3) when I unplug/plug just for a few seconds. The rest of the settings stay intact.
    You would also lose the pre-heated feature of the picture tubes for "instant-on". I'd think you would put extra strain in the tubes if you cycled from cold-warm on day-to-day operation.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Jay i'm using an X10 plug on my TV if you want to see how it works. one thing though it takes forever for the TV to settle down from a hard power on so jumping to various inputs is almost impossible....thats the main reason I am now only using S-video and letting the receiver do the video switching. its worth it for me.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi