X1 users -- aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Displays' started by agendrano, Nov 3, 2003.

1. agendrano

agendrano Extra

I ordered the Infocus X1 and I have a question about screen size (aspect ratio).

If I build a 16:9 screen (I will use the X1 mostly for DVD movies), let say 45" X 80" and set the X1 to 16:9 mode, how would a 4:3 content looks like on a 16:9 screen? Would the image spill on the top and bottom with a black bar on the sides, or would the 4:3 content fit vertically with black band on both sides?

From the user guide, it says that "If you have a 16:9 screen then you should select an aspect ratio of 16:9 for anamorphic movies or HDTV, and Native for 4:3 content." But it is not clear to me if the 4:3 content will fit on the 16:9 screen vertically.

Anybody have any idea?

2. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

The X1 User Guide is 100% correct.

In the X1 AR control, you have 3 selections .... 4:3, 16:9, & Native (BTW, you can set the "effect" button on the remote as an AR toggle button). I also have a DIY 16:9 screen (84" x 45" = 8 ft diagonal). My X1 is ceiling-mounted (but that should not matter). For anamorphic DVDs, I use 16:9 mode, centered perfectly to fill the screen on 1.85:1 anamorphic DVDs. When watching NTSC Broadcast TV, a simple switch to Native mode fills the screen vertically with black bars to the left & right of the image. If I choose 4:3 mode, the TV image fits the width of course, but it is too large vertically for the screen, thus "spilling" off the top & bottom.

Hope that answers your question ....

Scott

3. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Unless you rarely watch 4:3 material, that would seem to be an awful waste of pixels for a machine that doesn't really have that many to spare.
    Why don't you just make a 4:3 screen and a couple of masking strips to do a quick convert to a 16:9 AR when necessary?

RG

4. mckenzig

mckenzig Extra

I actually prefer the 4:3 X1 since I use the projector for everything. When watching TV or TV on DVD, I have a huge 100" diagonal (80" horizontal) image that fills the screen. When I switch to widescreen DVD, I still have a nice 80" horizontal image, but simply add black bars to top and bottom. For PS2 use, the image would be the full 100" diagonal. A widescreen projector and screen would give me the same DVD size, but make my regular TV much smaller.
    Just one opinion.
    Cheers,
    Grant

5. agendrano

agendrano Extra

Thanks for the information. Now I can build my screen before my X1 arrives.

I wanted a 16:9 screen becasuse I will not use the X1 for TV viewing, aside from not having a tuner and most of my DVD's in widescreen, the cost of lamp replacement in the Philippines is very expensive, I will just use my 29" Wega for TV broadcast viewing. [​IMG]

6. SamCK

SamCK Agent

I have a X1 ceiling mounted on a 120 diagonal 4:3 screen. Good picture, but the 16:9 picture with empty screen above and below bugs me. Someone mentioned "Why don't you just make a 4:3 screen and a couple of masking strips to do a quick convert to a 16:9 AR when necessary?". How would you do this. Any recommendations or pictures.

7. AlexQ

AlexQ Auditioning

can you folks tell me where can I order the ceiling mount
    for X1.

Thanks

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    SamCK: Well the easiest way would be to get strips of matte black fabric (duvetyne etc), and attatch it to the screen where the black bars are when you're wtaching letterboxed movies. How you attatch it is up to you.

9. ryan_m

ryan_m Stunt Coordinator

Alex,
    You can order the ceiling mount right from Infocus.

If you want to save a few bucks just make your own. I made one for maybe 10 bucks just using small pipes (those plumbing nipples), a piece of wood (a scrap piece of pergo flooring) and wing nuts (these allow for easy adjustment). Works great for me and was pretty easy.

Regarding the screen, I have a 16x9 (80x45) screen cause a 4x3 one would just be too large for my setup. Using native mode for 4x3 material works great (picture is plenty big IMO).

-Ryan