X1 Questions...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by NateM., Aug 17, 2003.

1. NateM.

NateM. Auditioning

Okay, I think I'm ready to dive into the FP community but first a few questions if you could help. I've pretty much decided on going with the X1. It came down to the fact that I work at Best Buy(until I leave for the Army in December) and we now carry it and I can get it for around 800 bucks, so I figure I'd go with that over the Sanyo Z1. Any reason I shouldn't do that? Second, I need to find a place for a screen, any suggestions? I've been doing research and I think I should go with some sort of grey screen as black level is important to me and I hear that will help the DLP produce deeper blacks, am I wrong?? And I really want to go with a 16:9 screen because all I watch are DVD's, and HDTV for the most part, is this a bad thing?? Alright well any comments, or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

-NateM.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    A gray screen would help woth black level but may compromise the colours slightly. Another alternative to add is a silver screen as well. You can make you own like I did if you wish.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I'm in the market for this FPTV too. Is there a certain size/type screen that is recommended with the X1, and how much should I expect to pay?

And I heard the X1 doesn't even process 480i signals, meaning I can't play my PS2 on the X1?? [​IMG]

edit- ok reading this FAQ tells me I have to use the S-Video output of the PS2 since the VGA input only accepts at least a 480p signal, which is understandable. Disappointing this projector doesn't have 480i component inputs.

4. Josh~H

Josh~H Stunt Coordinator

5. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Oh I have an Xbox, but for some reason or another when my friends come over we all like to play GT3. DVD player will be an HTPC with Powerstrip.

I don't think I'm ready for an FPTV just yet, the Pana L300U seems to be exactly what I'm looking for but it's out of my price range right now. Oh well good things come to those who wait.

7. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

First off there are not many bells and whistles this box is missing. It does take 480i and I play PS2 all the time on it.

Second, it using the Faroudja chipset and so far very few people have found a DVD player that can do as good a job with the picture as this PJ can in upscaling the video.

This PJ is a fantastic buy for most people and will best a lot of more expensive PJ's out there. It isn't perfect but at thousands less than a decent RPTV it is hard to knock.

8. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

as far as screens go, i am VERY happy with blackout fabric from Joanna's fabrics for $20. The X1 is great - just watch for the rainbows. if they do bother you, try a filter - i and others have posted on the other "I dropped the gun on an X1.." thread.

Plus, i just got my $100 rebate in the mail today - i sent for it on July 1. I am stoked! [​IMG]

9. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

I just saw an ad in a catalog today too, that promoted the multi-use of the X1. Take it home on the weekend it states! (more or less)