X1 Owners Can Customize Their Start-up Screen

Discussion in 'Displays' started by George_W_K, Jun 13, 2004.

1. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    A member or at AVS developed a program that can modify your firmware so you can change your start-up screen into a .bmp image of your choice, with a limitation on file size. For all of the details, here's the link.

Modify your firmware at your own risk. I used his program and am very happy with the option to do this. It's a pretty cool feature to add to my HT set-up.

I'll post a photo of my new start-up screen. I gave a detailed rundown of how I went through the process in the AVS thread if anyone is interested in doing this.

If you are, please post your results so everyone can get some ideas and to show off your work!

Good luck,
    George

Here's my start-up screen.

[​IMG]

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    George:

Or you could post your detailed rundown right here on HTF in this thread.

Parker

3. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Yes, I'll do that tomorrow. Right now, I have to wake up in 4 hours for work. I hate when I sleep in too late on the weekend! [​IMG]

4. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Ok, here's the summary of how I went throught the process of customizing my X1 startup screen using Gabe's Screenmod program. This way, maybe someone who is as inexperienced as I am, can modify their screen without feeling intimidated. I know I made it seem harder than it was because of being nervous about messing around with my projector's firmware. However, everything is fine and now I have one more really cool thing to make my theater unique.

1.) The first thing I did was download Gabe's software (screenmod) . Be sure to read everything first to get a better understanding of how to use the program, and what the program is actually doing to modify your screen. And, of course, keep in mind that you modify your firmware at your own risk!!!

The download is a zip file including the Screenmod program, the .bmp image Gabe used to make his startup screen, the "oem config" file from the firmware he used, and a readme file that is the same thing you read on his site.

2.) Next, I created a new folder in my (C: ) drive. Do this my clicking on "Start"----->"My Computer"------->double-click on (C: ). Create a new folder by right clicking------>"New"------>"Folder". Gabe suggested naming the folder "X1" but I already had a folder named "X1" so I called mine "Screenmod". (These directions are for XP, btw. I'm sure you're all more computer saavy than I am anyway, but I'm still including all the steps.)

3.) I needed a .bmp image to become my startup screen. I used Adobe Photoshop Elements to do this. I started a new project and made the resolution 800 X 600. This was an all black screen. Next I opened a second new project and made the resolution 800 X 460. I used a blue background for my image. I framed the entire blue screen, cut it out, and pasted it onto the black screen. I now had a 16 X 9 area to work on, with the appropriate black bars. Then I went to work on cutting out an image of my woman and me, and put in some words, etc. Finally, after a few trial and errors to get the file size right, I had an image to use as my screen. I saved the image as a .bmp file.

4.) Now I had to get the appropriate files into the "Screenmod" folder I had created in step 2.).

a.) The .bmp image I had just created. (Or any .bmp file you'd like to use.)

b.) The screenmod program from the zip file I downloaded.

c.) The "oem config" file from my firmware folder. The firmware I used was V 3.8 so my file name was "oemcfg13 tsunami.he_". Whichever firmware version that is used should have "oem" and "cfg" in the .he_ file name that needs to be put in the created folder.

5.) Time to use the screenmod program. To Quote Gabe, "To use the program you need to use the command line (Start->Run->"cmd"). If you've never used the command line before, you should really consider getting help from someone who has." Although, I didn't have any experience and I was able to follow the directions given to me, so it isn't too bad.

Anyway, after you type in cmd, hit enter, the command line will appear.

VISUAL EXAMPLE OF THE FOLLOWING EXPLANATION

[​IMG]

Ok, type "cd(space)whateveryounamedyourfolderhere". So, since my folder was named Screenmod, I typed "cd Screenmod".

Next, type "screenmod(space)thenameofyourimage.bmp(space)thena meofyouroemfile.he_(space)whateveryouwantyourmodif iedfiletobenamed.he_

I discovered that you do not want any spaces in your file names or it won't work. I am not familiar with the command line so I didn't know this and was becomming frustrated with it not working. Since the name of the "oemcfg" file in 3.8 has a space in it, I renamed the file to "oemcfg13.he_".

So, for me, I typed "screenmod taketwo.bmp oemcfg13.he_ iwillberenamed.he_" Hit enter and screenmod will do its thing. If your file is too big, you will receive an error message and have to tinker with your file to drop down the size of the file. If there isn't a lot of detail, the image should compress fine.

This is a Photoshop version of what I originally wanted as my startup screen.

[​IMG]
    It was too big so I had to eliminate some detail.

And here is the actual new startup screen again.

[​IMG]

If you compare the two, you'll see that I was able to use the original idea I had, but there are some differences in the detail in order to allow the image to compress enough. But, for the most part, everything is the same, save for the colors used. In my instance, my new "oemcfg" file ended up being 189 Kb and it worked flawlessly.

6.) Now the file screenmod created is in the folder created in 2.). This is the "oemcfg" file with your image in it, instead of the original one. Move this file into the folder with your firmware in it. In my case, my "X1" folder. You have to rename your file to whatever the original file was named. In my case, "oemcfg13 tsunami.he_". If the original file is still in this folder, rename it or move it out so when you flash your X1, your new file is used.

7.) Flash your X1. Again, do this at your own risk.

8.) Enjoy!

9.) Thank Gabe for his hard work in making this change possible.

10.) Share your image here so everyone can get some ideas on what they might want to do as their screen.

Ok, I hope that my summary helped everyone out. Hopefully I didn't ADD any confusion!

Thanks for the compliements I've already received, all!

Fellow HT enthusiast,
    George

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Thanks George for posting that here.

Parker

6. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Hey, it's my pleasure Parker, I shouldn't have been lazy in the first place.:b I've gotten so much help from this forum, it's always nice to give something back.

George