X1 or new Optoma

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike MMMM, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Mike MMMM

Mike MMMM Auditioning

I have read loads of reviews and posts on this forum about the X1 and I think we all love it.
    In the UK the price has dropped so much now that I can buy an X1 for less that £800.
    I have had a demo of the 4800 which is just about the same thing and I think it is great value for the money but my local HiFi dealer has recommended that I wait for another few weeks because of a new Optima, I have searched the internet but I cant find out what he is talking about, does anyone here have an idea?
    Could this be to do with the new DLP chip, are there a load of new, much better and cheaper projectors about to be launched? Which chip does the X1 use anyway?
    [​IMG]

2. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

3. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The X1 uses this chip:

[​IMG]

It's the 0.55SVGA DDR from TI:

TI's DMD chips

Your dealer is probably talking about the Optoma H30, which seems like the only new one to compete, price wise, with the X1:

[​IMG]

Optoma H30 Projector

The specs are very similar to the X1, and even use the same chip. It even uses the same 180w P-VIP bulb, so color temp performance should be very similar. It uses a pixelworks chip for deinterlacing and scaling though, which is inferior to the Faroudja solution. I have no idea what they mean by:

4. Mike MMMM

Mike MMMM Auditioning

Thanks Gabriel_Lam,
    I found worldwideweb. optoma.co.jp/english_p.html (because I am new I can't post URLs yet.
    It shows that this projector has a Four-speed, six-segment color wheel, I guess that means no more rainbows but the bad bits seem to be brightness and lamp life, only 2000/3000 hours.
    Price may be about the same as well so I am not sure what to do now, the H30 does seem very good[​IMG]

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Ah, a 4 speed will definitely help. [​IMG]

6. DavidLM

DavidLM Agent

If you are not sensitive to rainbows go with the X1. Otherwise the 4x color wheel on the other one will lessen rainbows a bit.