x1 no signal from component - vga breakout

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by darron Z, Jan 19, 2004.

1. darron Z

darron Z Stunt Coordinator

cant figure this out , i tried to hook up my uncles infocus x1 from dvd component to the computer in on the x1 via component / hd15 breakout cable. no signal ! frustrating, not even manual slection on the menu will recieve the image. i thought it was the projector , so he took it back and got another , same prob. testedthe cable at my home on my projector. no prob. tried another dvd player atback at his house, still no signal. initially when i tested the quality of this projectors image with my equipment in my house, it worked fine, now no . whats going on ?

2. JimB

JimB Auditioning

Sometimes you have to turn on the component video on the DVD player. There may be a switch on the back of the DVD player or you might have to get to a menu (In which case you will need to hook up the composite first and then switch later) in the DVD player to activate it. The later is what happened to me when I first tried to use the component connection.

Hope this helps.

BTW - This is my first post.

3. darron Z

yea i thought about that - i looked in the menuand on the back of the dvd , didnt see anything regarding switching.

4. JimMaino

JimMaino Auditioning

Hi Darron,

One of the limitations of the X1's VGA port input is that it cannot display 480i information - interlaced standard definition. If you have an older non-progressive-scan DVD player, you cannot use the VGA input. I'm willing to bet that this is the cause of your non-image.

For MOST DVD players, for the highest quality image you should use the S-Video input. The X1 has a built-in Faroujda de-interlacer, which does not operate on the VGA port input data. Unless you have a progressive-scan DVD player of the highest quality, chances are that the built-in Faroujda deinterlacer is better than that of the DVD player, and playing non-progressive from the DVD through the Faroujda will produce higher quality images than DVD progressive inputs on the VGA connector.

Note - this only applies to DVD's. If you have a true HDTV source, you will be much better served by using the Component to VGA connector path.

-Jim

5. darron Z

YES - ! i figured it out tonight ,then came home to read the last post -thanks . it was the problem , the high dollar dvd player of my uncles wasnt up to par .... i took my player and it worked great.
    you know that damn X1 looks just as good from 12 ft away as my xd300 u or any other dlp for that matter . and i got it for him for 900.00 NIB. wish i had that extra couple grand in my pocket heheh ...thanks all