What's new

X1 help needed (1 Viewer)

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
My Dad is having a hard time with hooking up his vcr through composite cable. He knows that he's getting a signal because he tried it on a different TV. But when hooking it up to the X1, he's not getting a signal(blue screen that says looking for a signal). He has it on Video 2 through the menu. Any suggestions?
Thanks

John Rheaume

Auditioning
My guess is that he may have the X1 set to auto input, which if it's getting a signal from any other input is defaulting to that. First turn off the projector. Try unplugging all inputs to the projector other than the composite in for VHS, then turn on the VHS with a tape in it, then turn on the power to the X1.

If this doesn't work...:angry: Let me know OK.

John

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmmm, is the X1 set up for progressive scan? If so, it may be looking for a progressive signal (480p) which is not available via composite. If this were the case then changing to 480i would be the fix for this scenario.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
It sounds to me like your father doesn't have the X1 set to "auto". That way he won't have to switch between inputs in order to find which one you're connnected to. The projector will sense where it is getting the signal. And I don't know for sure, but I think that video 1 is the composite setting. I don't remeber and I haven't tried hooking my VCR up yet. I will eventually so I can watch football this season. If your dad has multiple inputs connected, John's advice sounds right on as well.

Neil,

The X1 doesn't have a progressive setting as far as I can tell. The only way the X1 accepts a progressive signal is by using the VGA input. Otherwise it'll de-interlace the other inputs automatically.

Hope I've been helpful,
George

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
I went over there and tried all of that and still nothing. I wrote infocus and I am waiting to hear back from them. Thanks for the suggestions though

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
*UPDATE*

Found out that its not working because the cable is to long. On a small TV, it works fine, but for some reason, the X1 wont take it because the signal is too weak. The guy at infocus told me not to use a cable longer than 6' for composite, but that would mean putting the VCR next to the projector on the ceiling. I was wondering if they make a signal booster or something for composite?

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
that's kind of strange, I have my vcr plugged into my receiver, and have a I would guess 25" composite cable going from the receiver to the X1.

Tim Abbott

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim
That is a little odd. For a time I was using 2 12' composite cables connected together (for a 24' run) and I didn't have a problem with the image.

Maybe it is the type of composite cable he is using?? I had a fairly good quality cable.

Just a thought.

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
the quality could be the difference. Maybe if he ran it throught the receiver first, the Onkyo would send a better strenght signal.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I finally hooked my VCR up so I can receive local channels this past weekend. I ran a 50' Coax RG-59 cable through my crawl space and used an adapter at each end to turn it into a composite cable and I don't have a problem at all. I need better rabbit ears, but I have no problem getting a signal to display. I bought the cable and two connectors at Best Buy for around $17.

George

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks