X1 aspect ratio question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnRage, Feb 2, 2005.

1. JohnRage

JohnRage Auditioning

I have been reading on this forum for years and have learned so much but decided to jump in and ask what I think may be an easy question.

I have an InFfocus X1 Projector. I used it for a few months before deciding on the screen size and aspect ratio to go with.

The projector is zoomed out all the way for the largest projection I can get. I ended up with a 7.5 foot wide screen by about 5.5 feet high this is at a 4X3 ratio.

When I switch the projector to a 16X9 ratio the image looks stretched and is no wider than the zoomed out 4X3 ratio. Is this because I am zoomed all the way out?

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The effect you're seeing is not because of the manual zoom control. Because the X1 is a native 4:3 projector it has to scale 16:9 material, so basically the 16:9 image is sized to fit within the the 4:3 area because those are the physical limitations/dimensions. The stretching is likely caused by your DVD player not being set to widescreen or 16:9 under the setup menu.

3. JohnRage

JohnRage Auditioning

Thank you for the help. My DVD player was set to 4:3. I changed it to 16:9 and all was well.

One other dumb question.

Is 16:9 a higher quality image over 4:3 or is it only the shape of the image?

4. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

It is a higher quality. Think of it this way. In each mode there are the same number of lines of resolution. In 16x9 mode the display is being squeezed so all the lines of resolution are in the 16x9 area of the picture. When watching a 16x9 image in 4x3 mode the black bars are wasting some of those lines of resolution.