X1 and related accessories

Discussion in 'Displays' started by andy_brehm, Nov 13, 2003.

1. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

as some may know i am planning on purchaing a x1 in the somewhat near futher (month or two) and since money will be a bit tight i want to make sure i have everything accounted for. there will be 3 sources of input for the projector, PS2, DVD, and standard cable.

With that said, i want to make sure that i know of everything i need to hook everything up. i dont want to get the projector then find out that i cant hook anything up to it! I have heard that i should get a vcr to hook the cable up to then run that to the projector. other than that, what all will i need to hook those sources up to the x1. thanks in advance.

andy

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

What is your DVD player....if it is interlaced you would want to use the s-video input if it is progressive you can use the VGA input with the adapters you can buy here:

http://www.provantage.com/buy-7INFB0...t-shopping.htm

So:
    PS2 can go into vga if DVD not progressive player
    DVD s-video if interlaced.
    Cable to composite

3. andy_brehm

it is a progressive player. that good, it just sounds like i need to buy a couple of adapeters to get everything to work out alright. I wasnt too excited about buying a vcr just to hook everything up, id never use it i dont think!

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Let me rephrase the Cable part....cable into VCR, then video out(VCR) to video in of projector with a composite cable...
    You need something to act like a tuner box...A vcr can be had for around $40.....

5. andy_brehm

oh, well i almost got lucky. there is no way around buying a vcr then?

btw: any suggestions on a vcr? i havent looked at one in over 7 years. just something cheap that will get the job done

thanks

6. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I would think any VCR would do the trick if you are only using it as a tuner.....
    It is a nice machine for the Price...I demoed it for 10 days but chose the Z1 because of true 16:9 mode.
    I watched some TV/Movies on it and it was awesome......Think about it 2 or 3 years ago I paid $860 for my 36" tube TV and for the $1,000 mark you can get into FP ...who wouldn't.....

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Dean,
    VCR up via composite as there is no Component input on the X1 ....

8. andy_brehm

cool, i guess ill start looking for a vcr now in preparation.

as for the different aspect ratio's of the projector. i know that it is a native 4:3 but has a 16:9 mode. for some reason i dont think im understanding everything about this. the way i understand it is you can play 16:9 material on the projector using this mode but it will have a lower resolution than a true 16:9 native projector. will the image size still be the same, just fewer pixels?

also, i know someone tried to explain this before, but im still fuzzy. the native resolution is 800x600 but it has a maximum of 1024x768 or something. what is the higher resolution for? i assume that it cant display at that resolution or everyone would use it. what exactly does that resolution tell me about the projector?

thanks

9. andy_brehm

10. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

11. Suhas

Suhas Auditioning

I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered before.

I am also considering buying an X1 and have a few newbie questions about it. I am planning to hook up the following to my projector: XBOX, HDTV-capable Cable box, DVD player.

The current setup I have has all my equipment in an equipment cabinet at the front of the room. The projector will be about 12 feet away. The way I understand it, I will need the following:
    - Some kind of switching device to take component video signals from the 3 sources and convert them to a single signal.
    - A long set of component video cables to take the signal from my switcher box to the X1.
    - An adaptor to convert the component video to S-video input.

Is this correct? If yes, what should I expect to pay for this?

Some other questions:
    - Are there any issues with sending component video signals over a fairly long distance as I am doing? Will I need to buy cables with better shielding for this?
    - Is there any issue with loss of quality or resolution when converting a component video signal to S-Video? I was under the impression from reading this forum that component video provided much better color and resolution than S-video. Is that correct?

I am addicted to PIP with my current 61" Sony rear projection. Are there tuner devices that will do HDTV PIP that I can use with a projector (I expect that one of the pictures will be non-HD since my cable box will only have 1 tuner)?

12. andy_brehm

I have a matrox g450 i believe. im not sure exactly, but its matrox's dual head video card. the only outputs it has are two vga that go to my monitors.

one thing i forgot to add earlier. since i dont have any HD sources, would it be a worth while investment to use a HTPC? I have a spare motherboard in the closet, but i would have to buy everthing else.

Thanks

13. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Suhas, in your situation you really don't need the s-video adapter. If you want to watch HDTV or progressive scan on your X1 then you need the Component to vga adapter. If you want to use your x-box or watch regular, non-upconverted cable, then you need just an s-video cable. If you only want to watch 480i dvd with component cables, then buy the component to s-video adapter.

So if you want HDTV (which you definitely do on the X1) you will probably need to run 2 cables. 1 VGA (w/adapter) for hdtv, dvd, upconverted cable and 1 S-Video for PS2 and cable.

14. andy_brehm

alright, i just balanced my chekcbook and found that i have $1200 i can spend on a projector. i think im going to purchase the x1 and get a cheap model b screen....matte white or something along those lines. i have found the projector for $950 w/free shipping, has anyone seen it for cheaper?

thanks!

15. Suhas

Suhas Auditioning

Jed, thanks for helping me get unconfused. I understand now that I need the VGA cable rather than the S-video.

I want to use the 480p component output from my XBOX so I guess I will need some kind of input selection/mixing device to multiplex the inputs from my XBOX with the cable box.