X-over points for MC-1, Servo-15a & Studio/Active 40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zbigniew, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Finally got a woof - Servo 15a (thanks, Steven :)

Room size is huge, 16x17x32 - 2 stories high with opening to other areas, but we do not listen anywhere close to reference levels. Oh, and there is no screen/center speaker - it is music only, with sources from CD changers/vinyl.

Speakers - 4 x Active 40, 2 x Studio-adp, 1 x Servo.

MC-1 doing pre/pro duty.

Currently set up Acive crossed at 40, ADP at 80, Servo crossed at 40, no external x-over used (X-30 sitting at stand-by).

Looking for comments/advice; I hope there are some folks with MC-1/Studio 40/Servo rigs around there - how do you have your set configured and why ?

Thanks, (back to torture cats & neighbours with test tones).

_zjt

2. Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons Agent

I have the same Actives, Servo15, and MC-1 as well. Your cross-over settings are very workable for music. You'll experience more mid-detail if you cross at 80 hz all around. I prefer the 80 hz setting for home theater.

Regards,

Will

3. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Will - something to try (a good coffe, apple pie, some nice music is on order tonite...).

No HT in this setup. No screen.

How do you like Active+Servo+MC-1 ?

_zjt

4. Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons Agent

I do like the combination. I have a RPTV, so also have the Active CC. I have been experimenting with planars as well, running a pair of Newform 645's for mains with a VMPS 626 Neo for center. For this experiment, I have stacked Active ADP's on top of Active 40's for the sides-using 100 hz bypass for the ADP's and calibrating the combined output for each side to 75 dB per internal test tones. The rears are Active 40's as well. There is some magic with planars, particularly in the highs and upper midrange that I have not found with dynamic speakers. However, there are always trade-offs. My experiment has added sigificant expense in additional speakers and amplification. I have a fondness for the Actives, and they are an excellent value. I am looking at moving to a new home, and room may become an issue for set-up in a particular house that appeals to me. I may go back to just the Actives alone for speakers if I do take this house.

The MC-1 and the Actives have been very enjoyable. I have always wished though that I had more variation in cross-over. I would guess the MC-12 set at 50 or 60 hz and with the steeper 24 dB slope versus the 12 dB on the MC-1 would be very good with the Active 40's. I would probably set the ADP's at 70 or 80 hz and cross the Servo 15 at the same as the 40's. I may yet look at the MC-12 or see what comes down the line with Lexicon and the less expensive processor discussed for the future.

As you can probably tell, it's hard for me to leave well enough alone.

Regards,

Will