What's new

X-Men SE with NEW footage..... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I just got this email from videoeta:

RUMBLINGS FROM THE RUMOR MILL

'X-MEN' SPECIAL EDITION DVD GETS 'X'-TRA SPECIAL TREATMENT

With Spider-Man building upon the comic book phenomenon that X-Men

first enjoyed in 2000, it's no surprise that Fox is planning a Special

Edition X-Men DVD. What is surprising is the rumored contents of said

DVD.

Not only will there be more "making of" features and an audio

commentary from director Bryan Singer, but the Special Edition DVD

will also have new footage. And we're not talking deleted footage here.

Apparently, Fox approved additional funds in the budget of the sequel

(X2) for Singer and cast to shoot additional footage for X-Men with

the sole purpose of inclusion on this new DVD. While no details have

been released on the content of this new footage, it is rumored to be

origin footage of some of the other mutants, namely Storm and Cyclops.

This would be the first time in history in which new footage would be

shot specifically for the DVD release of a completed (and released)

movie.

Sounds cool if true.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Actually the Phantom Menace had certain scenes completed just for the dvd. And based on the digital nature of the new Star Wars films that might as well be the same thing as filming new scenes for a movie. This is pretty cool news though although they should have announced this back when everyone was wondering if there was going to be a better special edition. Still getting it though. :D

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Luckily i held off on getting the original release. I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out.

SINGER'S THE MAN!!

Mark E J

Second Unit
This would be the first time in history in which new footage would be shot specifically for the DVD release of a completed (and released) movie.
Actually David Prior has stated here that the DC of Pearl Harbor will have footage shot just for the DVD.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
and way back before the release of the first X-men DVD Bryan Singer did say that a full-on SE would be released with extra footage when X2 was released theatrically.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I believe the comic adaptation included the Storm and Cyclops scenes that Singer wanted to add, but were not shot the first time around. Without giving too much away, it provides a little back story from before they hooked up with Professor Xavier similar to the Magneto concentration camp flashback and the Rogue "first kiss" scenes.

Regards,

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Has it been stated whether this footage will be inserted into the film or separate in teh special features menu?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't a half-hour or so cut from this movie a couple of weeks before release, after test screenings?

I'm interested in a new edition, but they should use seamless branching.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I hate seamless branching. Give me the new version by itself with a heap of extras, and I'll happily forget about the old one.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
What's to hate about seamless branching? It gives the best of both worlds: the new version with the extra footage and the untouched theatrical version, and all without loading the disc up with two full movies.

I love the way they did seamless branching on the first disc. Can't wait to upgrade (did I just say that...?)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I appreciate the intention of seamless branching but, in every case where a longer version of a film is available, I never bother to watch the shorter one. Since I'm watching these films on DVD and frequently don't even make it to the theater to see a lot of movies, I could care less about having an 'untouched' version of the theatrical release. For example, I'll be skipping the theatrical LOTR disc in August(?) and sticking with the extended cut, despite the extras that will be unique to the former. I just figure that seamlessly branching in a shorter version of the film is simply cluttering up my disc with menu options and extra authoring that I'll never use. This is an entirely selfish viewpoint, of course, but when I finally sit down to watch a disc the only person I really feel like pleasing is myself (unless Cameron Diaz and Jennifer Lopez feel like playing another game of naked twister in the next room, in which case the DVD player will be off for a short while, before I come back and turn it on again).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I love the way they did seamless branching on the first disc. Can't wait to upgrade (did I just say that...?)
It wasn't seamless, though. It was choppy on purpose, I believe. I hated the way it was done.

Anyway, I'm glad to have the theatrical version, and will be glad to have a new version to complement it. And, if they do use branching, I hope it'll be truly seamless this time.

Jay Rodriguez

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty excited to hear about this new disc. I too have been waiting to upgrade. I'm a fan of seamless branching, as well. It worked great on T2. I just wish more studios would take advantage of it.

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait for the new SE of X-Men. But, I do think they should use seamless branching. Just in case the extended cut of the film isn't as good as the theatrical cut is. Not that I think it will be bad, I'm hoping it will exceed the original cut. Anyways, where did you hear that John Ottoman is recording a new score? I hope that isn't the case, I enjoyed the original score by Michael Kamen. I'm probably in the minority on that one though. lol. Oh well. I hope Ottoman's score will be better. But, I did like the original score either way.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
and I think Highlander II for DVD included some new footage shot during the production of Highlander III.

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
X-Men 2 Production Update

Thursday, June 6, 2002 8:52 CDT

A scooper for Ain't-It-Cool-News reported in about the X-Men sequel and we've got more on this below as well...

I'm currently working with the production team for X-Men 2, which will start primary photography on Wednesday of next week in Vancouver, with main photography beginning next Monday.

Halle Berry, James Marsden, and Patrick Stewart will be film starting on Wednesday. During the first few weeks of shooting, we will be at Hatley Castle in Victoria shooting some exterior, interior and classroom scenes with many "mutant kids". This is a different mansion from the one seen in the first film.

Something interesting...Halle Berry, James Marsden, and Patrick Stewart, will be filming some extra scenes which will be mixed into the first film, which will be released as a 'Special Edition' DVD sometime around Spring/Summer of next year.

We will wrap up shooting in around late December, early January, with a Summer 2003 release. Most likely May 2nd, although there's a chance of the release date being pushed back. I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

We have learned that the extra scenes to be filmed for the Special Edition DVD will involve flashback scenes for those characters, much like how you saw Magneto at the German camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DK Baker
Recent bookmarks