What's new

"X-Men Origins: First Class" (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I REALLY wish Fox had gone ahead and given the franchise a full reboot. The last two films (X3 & X-men Legends) were a disaster, and I was never comfortable with some of the decisions Singer made for the first two films. I think Singer did an excellent job of casting the two leads (Patrick Stewart & Sir Ian), and this is what really redeemed those films for me. I do know many fans who actually read the comics hated these films religiously.

I wondered why Wolverine was a foot taller than his comic counterpart (making the famous "fastball" hurl of Wolvie by Colossus look all the more ridiculous in X3), why Magneto was so damn weak power-wise compared to his comic counterpart, why the toad was able to wipe the floor with the X-men, and I could go on. I placed these criticisms aside for the sake of enjoyment and hoped that a reboot would address these issues at a later date.

I'm willing to give this film a chance, but some fresh blood and a reboot might've freed them up more creatively. For example, Singer always used the excuse that flying never looked that convincing onscreen at the time he did the first X-men movie, so he decided not to have characters like Storm and Magneto fly (I believe that Sir Ian and Halle Berry actually took up this issue with Singer). However, having these two characters not fly in 2011 would be ridiculous since CGI has progressed a great deal, and besides, they've always flown in every incarnation I've seen of them.

Magneto hitching a ride with the X-men in X2 made me cringe - That guy would've been at that dam before the X-men, cleaned Stryker's clock, and by the time the X-men arrived, mags would've been long gone.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

I love the blue and yellow costumes as a throwback to the first comic, but shouldn't Professor X be bald already?

Yes.

The producers are not following the continuity of the comic. Also, when Xavier first met Magneto in the comic, they were both in Israel and Mags was working at a hospital. Xavier discovered his friend "Erik" was a mutant because he was UNABLE to scan his mind. This is another departure. In the comic, Magneto is capable of resisting telepathic attacks, partly because of the electro-magnetic nature of brainwaves. This mandatory helmet requirement was created by Singer and the writers for the films. We'll see how they actually portray their first introduction in this film, but I'm thinking Xavier will simply just read Erik's mind with no problem.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Another point is supposedly this storyline will cause some problems with what we saw in the beginning of TLS. To add to the confusion Aronofskys Wolverine is supposedly not following whats established either.

I always thought they casted Jean and Storm too old. I also wanted to see the team grow together as a family over time - the trilogy we got happens in the matter of a few months, and then its all over. In the films, we discover the Xmen too late.

So at this point, Id prefer they just continue with what this films does and reboot the franchise as well, continuing with this cast.

That doesnt seem to be the case though as they do seem to be trying to tie this film in with the established trilogy. That one of the reasons why Scot and Jean dont appear in the film. Once they decided to have this film replace Origins Magneto and establsihed the era it would take place in, Scot and Jean wouldnt work because they would have been way too old for when we see them in Singers first film - which is why they decided to go with some unused mutants for this adaptation.

Also, Singer had to drop out of First Class because of other commitments and there are "rumors" that Fox is waiting for him to be available for the directors chair for a direct followup to The Last Stand,which I dont even see the point of doing, as they pretty much ruined the team, I never want to see Halle play Storm again, and I doubt theyll get the rest of that cast back together.

edit:

Two more new hires pics here...

http://www.slashfilm.com/exclusive-matthew-vaughn-reveals-magneto-professor-xmen-class/

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

No, it's a guy who watched so much Kevin Bacon that he turned into Kevin Bacon. [SIZE= 8px]Yes, it's him.[/SIZE]

Ah. I skimmed the interview with him, and he clearly doesn't know his history:

"What can you tell us about your character, Sebastian Shaw, and how he figures into the plot?"
"You don't see much [of his backstory] in the movie, but he's kind of a self-made man. He lost his father as a young man, made his first million by the time he was 30 and first billion by time he was 40."

But we all know from Dr. Evil's interaction with the Kennedy administration that one billion dollars didn't even exist in the 1960s!

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I'm skipping this movie. I think I'm pretty much over live action X-Men movies. I heard recently Singer wants to do another one. I think this franchise should be put to bed.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I swore off any more FOX superhero movies - unless the creative team had total control, and that seems to be the case here. I do like Vaughn and the best parts of TLS were ideas that were his that they kept after he left the project.

I'm curious and willing to give it a chance and see what they do with it. Especially with no Wolverine.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by SWFF

I heard recently Singer wants to do another one.

Well yeah, he's the reason First Class is happening. He isn't directing it, but he's supervising it, so there's a good chance it will return to the quality of X-Men 1 & 2. If he wasn't involved and it was going to be like X3 or Wolverine, Fox wouldn't be doing it.

I just watched X-Men 1 again, with the enhanced viewing mode on which incorporated rough deleted scenes, and wow there was a few minutes of essential material in the deleted scenes that could have been kept -- more interaction between Logan and Jean, and between Logan and Marie (Rogue). X-Men 1 was great but with a little bit more time it could have been even greater. I was also impressed by Singer's wise decision to cut most of Halle Barry's scenes.

I trust Singer with this franchise.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
^ ^ Matthew Vaughn is the reason I'm in on opening day. In my opinion, Kick-Ass was better than any of the first three X-Men movies. Making it a period piece is just icing on the cake.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Vaughn summarizes the movie as follows:

Magneto is the good guy in the film, but he’s a sort of a good bad guy. He literally kicks off the movie, and Xavier goes along on the ride trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and trying to persuade Erik that you don’t have to kill everyone.

. . .

It starts in 1942, and then works its way up to 1962.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting seeing some of the same sets in a different light. Pretty bold to

basically reenvision history so that the X-Men basically stop the Cuban Missile Crisis.

EDIT: Question for comics readers:

Mystique (played in this movie by Jennifer Lawrence in both her primary "normal" form and her natural blue-skinned, red-haired state) is Nightcrawler's mother, right? Is the red dude that otherwise looks like Nightcrawler and has Nightcrawler's powers Nightcrawler's father?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Like some here I had written off the X-Men movies after X3....LOVED X2 though. But I must confess seeing this trailer the other day really got me. Looks very good. My interest has been given a shot.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Final International trailer here... and its pretty cool.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49442

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I kinda "meh" on it for now, even after seeing the better trailer for it.

I agree, except I'm so "meh" I can't be bothered to watch the trailers. I'm hoping zero expectations will make this one good for me.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Personally, that last trailer sold me enough to go see it in the theaters.

Of course, I'm also much less critical of X3 and Wolverine than most, though I wouldn't call the latter a "good" movie.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Fish Tank the other night. Fassbenders got the charisma to be a big star, and I have a feeling this film is going to shoot him pretty far in that direction.

I was positively inclined when I heard they were setting this in the early 60's since for a live action action/adventure/superhero movie that milieu is going to be utterly fresh- but from the first trailer I've been sold that this is going to be something very cool.

Will it have huge spectacular, bombastic set pieces? Probably not much beyond the sub/missile footage we already see- but the film looks to have loads of very juicy personal conflict and drama which I care about a whole lot more than empty spectacle. That's why I avoid Michael Bay movies.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Very favorable review here - mentioning Bond, Quentin Tarantino and the Brady Bunch....

(As for juicy personal conflict and drama, check out paragraph6 )

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/x-men-first-class-review/

And another from Dark Horizons, calling it the best Marvel adapation yet, saying this film kicks Marvel Studios asses...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/1175/x-men-first-class

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hi Folks

Just returned from a screening In Glasgow.

I was really gobsmacked that it is even better than the First X-Men.

There were a few changes from the comics as I was avid follower in the 80's and 90's before I stopped reading them.

I am not sure but I did spot a certain character

Wolverine

if my memory serves me right.

The music really worked well with the movie, although it's not Hans Zimmer, I suspect whoever did the music, certainly knows their stuff.

The interaction between Prof X & Magneto was certainly believable.

Kevin Bacon as Shaw certainly surprised me.

5 Stars

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks