What's new

X-Men DVD: Where's the Bass? (1 Viewer)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Right after watching LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring I popped in my new X-Men DVD expecting to be blown away by the action sequences.
I wasn't....
The bass was anemic in this! Just no punch at all compared to LOTR:FOTR. I also thought the surround channels were poorly mastered. Professor X just didn't swim around my head the way he did in Logan's. Sure there was some directionality but even in 6.1 matrix mode the surround use disappointed. The levels for everything else seemed alright.
I kept checking everything on my system to be sure it was setup the right way then immediately put Frodo & Co. back in to be sure it wasn't my imagination. It wasn't. :D
Am I the only one who found this title dull in the sound department?
Thanks for the replys!
Jason Els

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Right after watching LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring I popped in my new X-Men DVD expecting to be blown away by the action sequences.
There's your problem...LOTR is one of the best audio DVD's there is.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
X-men sounds excellent on my system. Actually a better ballance then FOTR IMO. Are you sure your system is hooked up correctly?

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
For my puny system, I've always found X-Men (R1) to be a bit lacking. The directionality is fine; but the LFE is a bit undernourished. Perhaps it doesn't help that I saw it theatrically at levels so loud my ears were hurting. I think I'm just expecting too much! Still a fine mix, though.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The LFE bass is integrated well with the soundtrack on X-Men. Due to being a more dynamic track (and "dynamic" does not mean "lots of bass extension" or "loud") than FotR it has more "punch" and less "throb".

Regards,

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The X-Men DVD sounds just like the theatrical version. I think watching FOTR before must have affected your judgement, since there is tremendous LFE (too much, IMHO).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks