What's new

X-Men Digital VHS Review At DVDfile (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes let's hope this pushes the release of HD-DVD to a quicker pace. While I would love to have the D-VHS image quality there comes a point where one has to decide if adding another format is worth it.

Knowing HD-DVD is going to be available in a couple of years I'm willing to wait this out. Unless, of course D-VHS drops significantly in price. Which isn't bound to happen.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Wow, good review thanks. As soon as I get myself together, D-Theater will be coming to my home along with a widescreen HD monitor. Hopefully they will have more movies available.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
While I'm glad to see HD video out there, I'll still never invest in D-VHS.

1) It's tape based. It will wear out.

2) Most people, including myself, won't be able to afford an HDTV for some time. By the time I actually can afford one, HD-DVD should be rolled out.

For now, I'm perfectly happy with my little shiny discs and hope that tape-based systems go bye-bye.

Gruson

Second Unit
I think I will end up getting DVHS.
The picture with HD, 1080i, over the air is around 19Mbps and that looks incredible! I have going back to DVD (480p) after watching something in 1080i.
Now, DVHS is around 28Mbps so that must really look sweet.
HDDVD is still years away and I cannot wait that long. Besides, I am used to buying the same movie over and over again :)
It went from:
VHS
Widescreen VHS
Laserdisc
DVD
and now:
DVHS!
;)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
1. We don't have HD sets in this country and probably wont do for a long while yet.
2. It's a tape - it'll wear out
3. No random access
4. It's a tape - it'll wear out
5. It's a tape - it'll wear out
:)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused. I thought Peter had a decent front-projection system to review DVDs on? Why would he review an HD title on a consumer RP HDTV???

GaryEA

Second Unit
Interesting review, but D-Theater will remain a no sale for me.

While D-Theater delivers the best picture (according to the review), I have zero interest in going back to a tape-based format.

-g

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Knowing HD-DVD is going to be available in a couple of years I'm willing to wait this out. Unless, of course D-VHS drops significantly in price. Which isn't bound to happen
I hope that by a couple you mean at least 10, because that's the minimum you'll be waiting

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I can't stand how these D-Theater review topics turn into a lame gathering of those who have no intention of adopting the format. If you're not buying, why even comment? It's annoying to those of us who really have an interest. You're probably the same rude people who show up in a recently announced P&S DVD topic and say, "Who cares if it's not widescreen? I hate that movie anyway."

It's thread crapping, plain and simple.

I'll take prerecorded HD however I can get it. Being able to record in HD is a sweet bonus too.

The X-Men DVD has a gorgeous transfer, so if they say the D-VHS version blows it away, it's a definite purchase for me. I can't wait to grab a deck once the library beefs up a bit.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Is it possible, just frickin' once, to have a thread about D-VHS on the HTF that doesn't include folks telling us why they aren't interested in purchasing D-VHS? Man, this is tiresome.
- Walter.

DanR

Supporting Actor
It's ok guys. A lot of us bashed DVD when we were in love with our Laserdiscs. One trip to the A/V store in March 1997 changed all that for a lot of us. I will never make the mistake again of bashing a format before I actually see it. Once I get my feet back on the ground, I fully intend to go check it out (not before then b/c it's only going to make me want to buy it NOW).

Regards,
Dan

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You're probably the same rude people who show up in a recently announced P&S DVD topic and say, "Who cares if it's not widescreen? I hate that movie anyway."
:rolleyes
I think some people need to calm down a little. It's a new format and not one that is being seen as a sure-fire winner. The technicalities may be excellent, but the use of tape is raising eyebrows. There's bound to be a lot this-way that-way comments.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Exactly. I'm really interested in D-VHS and the review over at DVD File ( along with those at Widescreen Review ) just further whets my appetite. I'm trying to hold off until the player prices drop to the next tier, but I may end up taking the plunge on a player in the near future.

I'm looking forward to hearing other HTF'ers impressions of D-VHS ( from those who own or have demo'd the units. )

- Walter.

I can't stand how these D-Theater review topics turn into a lame gathering of those who have no intention of adopting the format. If you're not buying, why even comment? It's annoying to those of us who really have an interest. You're probably the same rude people who show up in a recently announced P&S DVD topic and say, "Who cares if it's not widescreen? I hate that movie anyway."
I agree it is rude and pointless. There is already a thread discussing whether D-VHS is worth buying into or not. Why flood every D-VHS thread with those comments? Leave the D-Theater buyers in peace.

Maybe a new folder should be added that deals with only this new format. That might keep the "crappers" away.

DVHS PRO High Def image
CON: Cost of both player and software
need to have an HD TV, another format, not a great time to introduce a new format- economy

DVD PRO: Cost of both players and software, can now record,
can play on any t.v. and still get a great image. For most converts the image of DVD is good enough, especially those who recently decided and I a lot of those people that decided this year to toss the tapes and go DVD. Those people are not going convert DVHS. DVD is now the choice for home theater.

DVD CON: no HD image-

I have a HDTV - HD is great ,but a progressive scan dvd image is good enough for me. I don't want to go back in the past with tape. I like many of you will wait for HDDVD.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am excited that HD movies are on the way. I have no fear of outdated technology, I'm a realist. I will still be able to enjoy my 400+ DVDs even when Super Duper HD SensaSurround Blue Ray Transparent Discs come out!

However I do agree with the worries about a tape format - I didn't like audio cassettes or VHS. But at least work is being done at 1080i resolutions and it's good to read that the product looks as good as advertised.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry that you feel threatened by us D-VHS non-believers, but the last time I checked, this was still a discussion forum. It's a new, untested format and open for discussion. There's no need to be so defensive of an inanimate object. If you have arguments to dispute our problems with D-VHS, then by all means let us know. I love being proved wrong. The facts, as I understand them, are that D-VHS is tape-based, which makes it succeptable to wear, and that it is waaaayyy too expensive for the average consumer, even those of us who love home theater. That's not "thread crapping". Those are the facts.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The D-VHS bashers absolutely insist that every discussion of D-VHS, even one discussing a specific software title, is the place for them to 'debate' (term used loosely) the merits of the format.
I hate to say it, but D-VHS should be discussed at AVS where people have the good taste to constrain format debate to appropriate threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks