1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

X-Men: Dark Phoenix (June 7, 2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by dpippel, Apr 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chris Will

Chris Will Screenwriter

Chris WIlliams
    I was just bored to death during this movie and I don’t really know why. The characters just didn’t feel like themselves for some reason, like everyone was going through the motions. Magneto was way too nice. I feel like Ian Mckellen Magneto would have welcomed Jean and tried to manipulate her into destroying the world. He definitely wouldn’t have kicked her off the island for killing people, he would have been impressed. Anyway, I just didn’t like this move and I’m not sure Sophie has the chops to carry a film like this because I wasn’t really impressed with her performance.

Zimmer needs to stay away from comic movies because he refuses to do anything remotely heroic sounding. Just another boring modern Zimmer noise fest.

2. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Jeff Adkins likes this.
  3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Saw it today as part of A-List.

I thought it was fine.

Not as good or as bad as I have heard.

4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson

Sam Favate likes this.
  5. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    Finally saw this today before it leaves my local theater after Thursday. While not a trainwreck just thought it was average, better than Apocalypse. As has been mentioned we could of used another movie to set up this one. Loved the Dazzler cameo.

6. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Finally got a chance to catch this - way better than Apocalypse and Last Stand and if this is to be the last one, a much better swansong than it is given credit for. Its not anywhere near as good as X2 or Days of Future Past, and my main criticism is down to how ill-defined Chastain's central villain was and that give we didn't really know this version of Jean, we needed more time at the start to get to know her place and relationships with the characters. But I still enjoyed it a lot and feel it can hold its own with First Class and the first X-Men film.

1. X2
    2. Logan
    3. Days of Future Past
    4. First Class
    5. The Wolverine
    6. Dark Phoenix
    7. X-Men
    8. The Last Stand
    9. Apocalypse
    10. X-Men Origins - Wolverine

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I never got around to seeing this in theaters. At the end of a long day, ended up Redboxing it on Blu-Ray tonight.

It was definitely a better constructed movie than the last attempt at this particular story. The scenes flowed and built upon one another. It was easy to understand why the filmmakers made the decisions they made.

However, the execution was lacking. Some of the special effects, like the X-Jet lifting up from under the basketball court near the beginning, were laughably bad. The dialog was consistently predictable, to the point where I'd mutter what I expected the characters to say, and then they said it.

I also think the final act on the train falls apart a bit. Given that Chastain's character is nearly co-omnipotent, it doesn't make sense that she would use the only couple dozen of her species left as cannon fodder. She's just dive in there and do it herself.

That's the only stretch of the movie where James McAvoy feels like the Charles Xavier from First Class. And Summer Fontana, who played young Jean, is great at playing both innocent and creepy. She was the young Hope Mikaelson on "The Originals" and brought the same quality to that role.

There's also the problem that most of the additions from Apocalpyse feel really lightweight. Tye Sheridan's Cyclops is very one note. Kodi Smit-McPhee brings none of the melancholy gravitas that Alan Cumming brought to Nightcrawler. Alexandra Shipp is a better Storm than Hailee Berry, but that's setting a very low bar.

Sophie Turner is good at embodying her role, but there's not a whole lot to bite into; she's basically playing a wounded and cornered animal in this film.

First Class successfully established the dynamic of a battle for Mystique's soul, with Charles as the angel on one shoulder and Erik as the devil on the other shoulder.

Days of Future Past successfully resolved that dynamic, with Mystique choosing to step back from the darkness.

And the franchise never figured out what to do next.

I actually thought the Xavier/Jean dynamic was one of the more interesting parts of this movie. It's easy for the Phoenix Force to make Jean evil. Instead, here, it's seen as being neither good nor bad, just a vast amplification of what's already there. So Jean does some pretty unforgivable things, but it's not cosmic energy that's making her do them, it's the decisions made by those around her and herself. I just wish it had been developed better.

And the idea of Xavier being idealistic and well-intentioned, but also arrogant and full of hubris, is a fertile vein to mine.

The ending of this movie basically torches the idea that it's supposed to eventually end up like the ending in the revised timeline at the end of Days of Future Past.

8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Dark Phoenix gets this week's Honest Trailer: