What's new

X-Men: Apocalypse: May 27, 2016 (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw this last night and enjoyed it.

Without wanting to get all spoilery, what worked about the movie best was that it was just another X-Men movie. Bryan Singer has directed a bunch of these, and his style and the material continue to be a good marriage. Though the movie is nearly 2 1/2 hours, it doesn't feel that long. It felt shorter than the other similar length superhero films from this year, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Captain America: Civil War.

I didn't really like that the movie was set in 1983, because the cast through no fault of their own couldn't really sell that they had aged the 21 years that have elapsed in story since X-Men: First Class. That movie was made in 2011 but set in 1962. For Jennifer Lawrence's character, it's explained in that movie that she'll age much slower than everyone because of her mutation, but for the rest of the cast, I'm just not buying it. (I'm not sure it was necessary to set Days Of Future Past in 1973, and the 11 year time jump was a little difficult to buy then, but that suspension of disbelief is easy compared to the one required here.) I don't think the plot was enhanced in either Days Of Future Past or Apocalypse by having them set so far apart from each other in time. Maybe it's a nitpicky complaint, but it's one of those things that just makes it harder for me to stay immersed in their world. Then again, internal continuity within the X-Men movie series has pretty much always been terrible, so this shouldn't have been a giant surprise.

I saw the movie in a new format called 4DX - there are apparently four theaters equipped for 4DX in the U.S., two in Los Angeles, and two in New York City where I live. Instead of conventional seats, they've been replaced with motion capable seats that also are equipped for wind, water, scent, fog and lightning effects. The company that makes 4DX works before the movie's release to design a program for each movie, so that you're rocked, pelted with wind, sprayed with water, etc., etc., at the appropriate moment in the movie. The idea is sort of like one of those 3D rides at Disney or Universal like Star Tours where you feel like you're in the movie. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect or how much I'd like it, but I figured that an X-Men movie would be the way to go. After seeing the movie in this format, I can't recommend 4DX to anyone. It's a decent idea but one that wasn't well executed. For instance, the lightening effects were terrible, and didn't actually correspond to lightening onscreen, they'd just occasionally happen at big, loud, explosive moments - but the problem was, bright flashes of light in the auditorium only served to make the room bright and wash out the screen completely. Granted, there were probably only ten or so two-second flashes in the 2 1/2 hour movie, but each time it happened, it reminded me I was sitting in an auditorium in Times Square, which I think is the opposite of what they were going for. Similarly, while the wind effects were more effective as a whole, there were times they were used where nothing "windy" was happening onscreen, and they just drowned out dialogue. There was one moment where Jean Grey comes to a realization about her powers in a quiet scene and delivers a line to explain what she's learned that should be important for the audience to hear - but wind started blowing right as she delivered her final line, and we couldn't hear it, so the whole point of that scene remains a mystery to me because the stupid effect got in the way of the movie. And while it was cool to have the chair rock during the most large scale explosions, they could have dialed down the number of times they did the effect. That's my biggest overall critique of the 4DX format - they just tried to do too much, too often, regardless of whether it matched what was onscreen or whether it would be comfortable for an audience to do it. I think they could have cut back the number pf physical effects at least by half, and instead focused on making each effect seem motivated by the story, made sure that they didn't take away from the movie, and increased the intensity on a few of the more dramatic ones. My theater charged a $9 surcharge to see the movie in this format, and it was almost as if they knew they were charging a lot so they had to deliver a lot. I would have preferred a more artful approach.

Overall, I found X-Men: Apocalypse to be the weakest of the McAvoy-Fassbender series of films, but still an enjoyable movie, and certainly not the worst of the X-Men movies. There's just nothing in it that we haven't really seen before. And though the producers have teased that because the timeline was reset in Days Of Future Past, that the fates of all the characters are up for grabs and that people could die, etc., I found that to be a little disingenuous, because we see the adult version of so many of these characters in the new reset future at the end of DOFP, so in fact we do know that most people in it can't die, and because the future is seen as being okay at end of that movie, we know that the world can't actually end in this movie before it even starts. So what we've got here is an entertaining but inconsequential movie that is a lot of fun but has no suspense and fails to build on the promise shown in 2011's X-Men: First Class.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Really, really average movie. Not close to be anything resembling good, far from being anything truly terrible. It was just kinda...there.

If I had to rank:

1. Days of Future Past
2. X2
3. X-Men
4. First Class
5. The Wolverine
6. Apocalypse
7. The Last Stand
8. Origins: Wolverine

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I saw this last night and enjoyed it.
...And though the producers have teased that because the timeline was reset in Days Of Future Past, that the fates of all the characters are up for grabs and that people could die, etc., I found that to be a little disingenuous, because we see the adult version of so many of these characters in the new reset future at the end of DOFP, so in fact we do know that most people in it can't die, and because the future is seen as being okay at end of that movie, we know that the world can't actually end in this movie before it even starts. So what we've got here is an entertaining but inconsequential movie that is a lot of fun but has no suspense and fails to build on the promise shown in 2011's X-Men: First Class.

Agreed. While I thought Apocalypse was entertaining and done well, the fact they revealed everything was fine at the end of DOFP removed much of the uncertainty about the outcome of Apocalypse.

Also, while the W cameo was not really necessary for the film's plot (ie., even if W's presence removed some obstacles, this could have been achieved by other means), it does advance W's situation in prep for the next film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Also, while the W cameo was not really necessary for the film's plot (ie., even if W's presence removed some obstacles, this could have been achieved by other means), it does advance W's situation in prep for the next film.

Yeah, I was wondering exactly which version of Wolverine we'd be getting in the upcoming movie. Even the end of DOFP makes sure not to show us his claws, so we don't know if he'll again volunteer for/be subjected to the Weapon X experiments. The end of DOFP almost hinted that he might not, because he's not actually recovered by Striker, but by Mystique in disguise. But I guess there was absolutely zero chance that there'd be a metal-free Wolverine in the solo movie.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was wondering exactly which version of Wolverine we'd be getting in the upcoming movie. Even the end of DOFP makes sure not to show us his claws, so we don't know if he'll again volunteer for/be subjected to the Weapon X experiments. The end of DOFP almost hinted that he might not, because he's not actually recovered by Striker, but by Mystique in disguise. But I guess there was absolutely zero chance that there'd be a metal-free Wolverine in the solo movie.

Which begs the question, how did Stryker get a hold of W again?

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the writers rewatched the end of DOFP and forgot it was actually Mystique and not Stryker?

Or they forgot about the end of DOFP and just went with the more well-known, un-retconned, "canon" storyline that Wolverine was with Stryker in the 80s!

Either way, it was lazy on the part of the writers, especially since one of them was Simon Kinberg, who wrote the screenplay for both DOFP and Apocalypse.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Currently looking at the worst ever opening for the franchise at just $77M.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I found this to be "okay". I liked it and found it entertaining, but I was hoping for a much more solid film. First Class and Days of Future Past were both really, really good films. This one just seemed to lack a certain quality that those films had.

I think there was a little too much spread around as far as the characters' stories and arcs without a really solid emotional core to any of it (unlike the previous two). I think there were definitely some missed opportunities there.

Still, I'm somewhat surprised by the box office. I know the reviews haven't been great. They've been pretty much the definition of mixed. But I figured it would've opened at least similar to Days of Future Past. I guess the "First Class" version of these characters just aren't as appealing to the general audience as the original cast. DoFP likely benefited from the original cast's inclusion, and Apocolypse likely suffered from their absence. But still, this is really pretty low. Probably the combination of no original cast with the tepid reviews.

I'd love to see them do a new timeline take of the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix saga (which was botched by Ratner in X3). Singer definitely has definitely set that up as possibility here. But with this box office performance I'm curious what Fox will want to do for the next X-Men? "New Mutants" directed by Josh Boone is in the works, along with "X-Force" and Deadpool 2. Will Fox want to do another "First Class" cast film set maybe in the 90's and do the Phoenix, or will they try to bring the X-Men films back to the present day so they can cross paths will Deadpool?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Still, I'm somewhat surprised by the box office.
It can't have helped that this is the third superhero movie in about two months (and the second in three weeks) and I don't think Memorial Day is what it used to be for opening movies. Since Hollywood's idea of summer now runs from the last week in April or first week in May until the week before Labor Day, they've made it that all the biggest movies are out before Memorial Day and 4th of July so those once golden release dates aren't the same as they were. Unless a Marvel movie or a Star Wars movie or some other mega-popular franchise is opening on Memorial Day, I think people would rather get drunk at a barbecue than go to the movies.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I personally just think that the 6 comic book movies that are being released this year is too much. People are being more picky than if there were just 3 for instance.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will pick this up on Blu-Ray when it is released.
I'm really behind on superhero movies anyway. I'm watching Civil War today for the first time.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I saw this yesterday sitting in a D-box seat and found it rather enjoyable. I think the motion seat and butt kicker effects were well done and improved the movie experience. The movie sure didn't seem like it was 140 minutes long to me and I think it was a decent enough entry in the series.

I am getting tired of the CGI heavy stuff going on though. Magneto floating in air with tons of dirt and dust flying around just wasn't all that exciting. CGI, even with looking realistic at times, still seems soulless compared to having a mix of practical effects also. There was a trailer for Assassin's Creed with a shot of a guy jumping off a tower that I'm sure was framed to look impressive, but the CGI just made that shot ho hum. I'd rather see the opening jump in Goldeneye.

Anyway, the performances were good, and I had a good time. With the D-box add, I'll give this 4 out of 5.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wasn't able to see the movie this past weekend, but I was able to catch an early showing today (along with - to my surprise - about 20 or 30 other people; not what I'd expect for a 10:30 am show).

I thought it was terrific, just a hell of a lot of fun, and a worthy addition to the X-Men series. Maybe it's the characters or the actors inhabiting them, but I was drawn in almost immediately. The movie does juggle a lot of characters though and sometimes they get lost -- for example, I thought the movie went on a long time with no explanation of where Charles was. But that's a minor nit in an otherwise engrossing two and half hours. (Another complaint I had was that the voice manipulation for Oscar Issac was a bit much; it sounded electronic.)

Sophie Turner was great as Jean Grey, giving the character a lot of the complexity she shows on Game of Thrones. I also liked how a moment in this movie explains Logan's attraction to her in the earlier films. Tye Sheridan was a very good Scott Summers (even if they did switch the older-younger brother thing around with he and Alex).

Fassbender was great, and I don't think for a minute that they've overused the Holocaust background for his character (as some critics have suggested). He's the most troubled and conflicted character in the series, and it shows. I do question the necessity of giving him a family only to kill them off. I disapprove of that kind of writing, mostly because the family ceases to be people and are, instead, motivation. Eric didn't need more motivation. I thought McAvoy and Lawrence were also great.

Loved Wolverine's cameo, and that it was meaningful. It not only propelled our main story in this movie, it advanced Logan's overall story. (I'd still like an explanation about the whole Mystique-as-Stryker thing from the end of the last film.)

I had my doubts about this movie. I thought two years was too short a time between films and that Singer had done too many. Glad to be proven wrong. Singer said he wants to take a break from these films. I hope he doesn't, especially if they do the Dark Phoenix story next.

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Yeah, I think it's overkill too.

I know I'm getting tired of superhero movies. Even though I enjoyed Civil War, I wasn't that pumped to see it and I've skipped the other superhero movies so far.

The movies I'm most looking forward to this year are Independence Day, Star Trek, Rogue One and Finding Dory.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think that describes the entire X-Men franchise...

Yeah - except "First Class". That's a really good movie.

The others have been less than stellar but still watchable/entertaining.

I liked "Apocalypse" more than I expected - partly due to low expectations based on mediocre reviews, partly due to my semi-lack of enthusiasm for the franchise, but I still enjoyed it.

The movie's probably too long, and it takes a while to get going. It feels oddly like an "origin story", as it makes us wait forever to get the characters "organized" and to move toward the actual plot. Some of this drags and makes me wish the movie proceeded at a quicker pace.

But I like the movie's "dark side" and think it's more dramatic and emotional than usual for an "X"-film. Even though the other movies attempt heavy subjects, they seem somewhat lightweight much of the time, whereas this one comes across meatier to me.

I wouldn't call it a great film but it comes with enough action and intrigue to make it entertaining...

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I personally just think that the 6 comic book movies that are being released this year is too much. People are being more picky than if there were just 3 for instance.

It's a tale as old as time: When money is being made doing anything, competition will eventually drive industry profits down to zero, as others crowd in to try and get their cut.

Sure, the early 2000s X-Men and Spider-Man movies by FOX and Sony essentially created the modern comic book movie. But it has been the more recent success of Disney/Marvel that has caused the current glut. And it's only going to get worse, what with WB trying to establish their "DC Multiverse" and threatening to release 12 of these things over the next 3-4 years.

What will clear things out? It's going to take one of these $350 million comic book blockbusters to truly flop, and cost their study a 1/4 Billion dollars or so. Flop like "Alice 2" or "The Hunstman" are flopping right now. $30 million opening weekend flop. Then, everyone will get scared and rein production in. But when even "disappointments" like Batman vs Superman still make $870 million world-wide, well, the studios are just going to keep cranking them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going for my second viewing this morning in 3-D. I thought this film was much better than the reviews, but I guess that's just me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm going for my second viewing this morning in 3-D. I thought this film was much better than the reviews, but I guess that's just me.

Not just you. I enjoyed it a lot, much more than the reviews suggested I would. I may even bring my kids (who have been begging) to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks