What's new

X-Men 2 trailer online (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
What exactly is Scott's "power." I mean I know he has the eye thing but its never really been quantified. I mean we can say, "Rogue absorbs life force, Storm controls the weather, Jean has telekinesis, Wolverine can heal himself" but what do we say for Scott? "He shoots red lasers out of his eyes," not being a comic reader I don't really understand the "scientific" explanation for his condition, it's just like he's got these super-powerful red lasers that can blow up concrete but somehow can't get past his eyelids when he closes his eyes! :)

Eric Franklin

Stunt Coordinator

Here is Marvel's explanation.

Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a beam of concussive, ruby-colored force from his eyes. Cyclops’s eyes are no longer the complex organic jelly that utilize the visible spectrum of light to see the world around it. Instead, they are interdimentional apertures between this universe and another, non-Einsteinian universe, where physical laws as we know them do not pertain. This non-Einsteinian universe is filled with particles which resemble photons, yet they interact with this universe’s particles by transferring kinetic energy in the form of gravitons (the particle of gravitation). These particles generate great, directional concussive forces when they interact with the objects of this universe.

Cyclops’s mind has a particular psionic field that is attuned to the forces that maintain the apertures which have taken the place of his eyes. Because his mind’s psionic field envelops his body, it automatically shunts the other-dimensional particles back into their point of origin when they collide with his body. Thus, his body is protected from the effects of the particles, and even the thin membrane of his eyelids are sufficient to block the emission of energy. The synthetic ruby quartz crystal used to fashion the lenses of Cyclops’s eyeglasses and visor is resonant to his mind’s psionic field and similarly protected.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Don't want to spoil it for you, but lets just say...the X-Men team is truly UNITED towards the end of the film. Every member, included Magneto and Mystique are shown using their powers in a way that will have fans cheering! There are going to be over 800 FX shots in the film".
Dude, I think I just filled the cup! :D

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking about the whole rogue kissing Iceman thing and perhaps he simply Ice's up his mouth so that there isn't that actual physical contact.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Heh. Here's the thing about Scott's powers: he doesn't shoot lasers; lasers burn. The beams that Scott shoots *punch* through things because they're concussive. Getting hit by Cyclops's eyebeams is more like getting smacked by the Hulk. As for why they don't penetrate his eyelids, he's immune to his power :)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
OK, I'm literally here at work laughing out loud at that explanation for Scott's mutation!!! :lol :lol
Geez, I think just for laughs they should put those exact two paragraphs, transposed to first person, in one of the X-Men movies so Scott can explain his power to someone, it would be comedy gold!!! (And people complain about Star Trek technobabble!)
His eyes are interdimensional portals! Who woulda thunk it?? :)

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I was thinking about the whole rogue kissing Iceman thing and perhaps he simply Ice's up his mouth so that there isn't that actual physical contact.
But wouldn't they get stuck together like the kid in a Christmas Story and the flag pole :D
I triple dog dare you.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and I heard there wouldn't be a X3.

Mainly because most of the people signed a two movie contract from the start. And to make a x3 with the same cast would have way too large a budget.

Ian McKellen, Halle Berry, and Hugh Jackman all have become much bigger stars sinse the first xmen, and would probably want a huge increase in pay for a 3rd movie.

I don't see it happening, but someone said they might do a movie with just wolverine.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I was thinking about the whole rogue kissing Iceman thing and perhaps he simply Ice's up his mouth so that there isn't that actual physical contact"
I was gonna say the same thing guys.But Imnot sure that works.Most likely they'll say she learning to control her power.
I think the trailer is very impressive. I had very mixed feelings about the first one. Im a fan from the Byrne/Claremont era. Colossus and Nightcrawler - too cool!!!
X-Men 2 looks like a real improvement. I recently read Singer said it would clock in at around 2 hours :frowning: I was hoping for a longer movie.
As for X3, I thought the main cast signed for 2 sequels providing the first did well.There were reports Halle tried to renegotiate after winning the Oscar last year.
This may also be why theyre introducing so many new mutants.Who cares if Halle goes,when we have Colossus, Nightcrawler,Ice Man,Pyro,Beast (Who supposedly has a cameo)etc
They could also replace her - Im sure theyre are actresses out there that would love to have the part. I was never happy with Halle for Storm anyway.
oh yea, back off Jeremy - Anna's mine!!:D

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I can see the comedy that ensues when Rogue's tongue freezes to his lips and they pull off a Dumb and Dumber removal scene. Then Toad shows up and comments on her "good tongue reach".
Also, this trailer is on my list of best theatrical trailers. I'm totally blown away by the sheer volume of unique scenes, effects and action shots, and characters included in this trailer. The casting is on great display, with Brian Cox in what looks to be another excellent role for him (great to see him in so much lately). The end shot is just such a great play on Wolverine that I can't think of a better way to end such a cool mini-movie.
I'm dying to see what kind of themes tie all of these elements together.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I remember the cast saying they signed for 3 movies and even Singer said on the 1.5 disc that theres 3 movies.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm with Jon. Halle needs X-Men more than it needs her. Oscar or not, plenty of talented actresses could make that role sing. Or they could have her take her trip to Africa with Forge. Would anyone really care? How many people are seeing X2 for Halle and her Oscar? I don't recall Monster's Ball making mad coin :) (and that's what actor salaries are all about).
I am also with Alex. I don't love this trailer as much as some, but it IS one of the very best I have ever seen. Being an old fan of the comics, Singer and cast (gosh, if great casting ever needed a poster child, this and LOTR would be IT) are nailing it, and it jumped to near the top of my list.
Take care,
Chuck

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I have to admit that having Brian Cox as the main protagonist excites me the most out of what I have seen for X2.

Scott_D

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt that the scene between Logan and the cat will be in the final movie. I get theimpression it was made just for the trailer.

But who knows, I'm probably wrong.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I doubt that the scene between Logan and the cat will be in the final movie. I get theimpression it was made just for the trailer.
It is possible that that was two different scenes combined together as well. Trailers aren't a good way to see how scenes flow, since some things can be taken out of context.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks